Orange Forum • View topic - GSoC participation: Social platform for Orange

GSoC participation: Social platform for Orange

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

GSoC participation: Social platform for Orange

Postby toma » Mon Mar 21, 2011 17:22

I was planning to get involved in this years GSoC ever since it was announced and was thrilled when I found out (trough a student outlet) that Orange was accepted as a mentoring organization, since it’s based at the same faculty I’m currently enrolled.

After a short chat with Miha trough Skype, he directed me to this forum and advised me to write a short introduction.

About me: My name is Tomaž Kovačič and I’m in my final year at previously mentioned faculty of computer and information science in Ljubljana. With a couple of exams left to finish, I’ve already started working on my diploma thesis. I have interests in web development in general and lately machine learning combined with information extraction. (part of my diploma thesis is wrapped around it)

My proposal for GSoC 2011: While reading trough your list of proposals, the following one has particularly caught my eye and has my name written all over it :D : Social platform for Orange.

Skills and competences:
- Apart from studying I’ve been heavily involved in web development, mostly with python + django.
- I’ve used python for nearly every school project that required programming.
- I’m already familiar with contributing to existing pythonic open source projects (python-graph library committer and contributor) and have released some of my own.
- Developing with django since its 0.96 release
- Familiarity with several databases: mysql, sqlite and oracle
- Comfortable in a *nix like environment
- Familiar with best practices regarding django development and deployment (south, pip, virtualenv, fixtures, unit testing ...)
- Developed and deployed a django based CMS and a e-commerce-ish sites
- Experience with version control software: subversion and (preferably) git
- Familiar with frontend development and web design

Comments about the project: I’ve got introduced to orange during my AI course by prof. dr. Blaž Zupan and applied it to tasks that were issued during the same course. I’m familiar with both GUI and scripting part of it. The biggest challenge of this project will definitely be familiarizing with the existing code base and integrating new features of “browsing, uploading and downloading” schemas with orange trough some sort of a RPC mechanism or a RESTful web API with its backend. To overcome any arising issues and challenges I plan to leverage on existing open source libraries and reusable apps.

I’m looking forward to any feedback and (hopefuly) to get to meet my potential mentor. I would also be more than glad to pay you guys a visit at your lab at any time to talk further about my plans for this project.

Kind regards, Tomaž

Re: GSoC participation: Social platform for Orange

Postby Mitar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 20:45

Great. Can you maybe also post some links to your existing code and projects (especially Django based ones)?

Postby toma » Mon Mar 21, 2011 21:06

The ones I can share publicly:
- my github profile https://github.com/tomazk
- python-graph http://code.google.com/p/python-graph/

Postby Mitar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 21:09

What about finished Django web page products? So not code, but the page URLs themselves?

Postby toma » Mon Mar 21, 2011 21:24

Just sent you a PM

Return to General Discussions