Orange Forum • View topic - Getting Involved

Getting Involved

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

Getting Involved

Postby ashishagarwal » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05

Hello,

I am a fourth year student studying Computer Engineering at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada. I have completed internships at Research in Motion and Shell Canada and have taken some programming courses in University.

I am interested in doing some research related to data mining/machine learning and will have some time over the summer. Have I come to the right place ? Can you please let me know how I can get started ?

If you are interested, I can also send more details about my experience (or my resume).

Thank you,
Ashish

Re: Getting Involved

Postby Blaz » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45

Ashish,

Thank you for your interest. Please let us know how would you like to collaborate. E.g., any specific points of interest? As a starting point, with GSoC just closed and Google providing us with slots for three students, there are still some ideas that are open. Please check the list and see if any matches your interest. Orange is an open source platform, and we would be happy if you can contribute.

Best wishes,
Blaz

Postby ashishagarwal » Thu May 05, 2011 7:03

Hi Blaz,

I am interested in the project "Support for parallel computation for scripting/backend". I did consider applying for GSoC, but I'll be taking some courses over the summer so I will not be able to commit so much time :)

Thanks
Ashish

Postby Anze » Fri May 06, 2011 9:50

Hi Ashish,

I was assigned as a mentor to "Support for parallel computation for scripting/backend" on GSOC. I am glad that you are interested in this project, because support for parallel computation will benefit many Orange Users.

However, I would like to know few things I couldn't figure out from your first post.
Are you existing Orange user? If so, did you mainly use widgets or write code? How much time do you want to spend working on Orange?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Anže

Return to General Discussions