Orange Forum • View topic - GSOC: Neural Networks or Transfer Learning

GSOC: Neural Networks or Transfer Learning

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

GSOC: Neural Networks or Transfer Learning

Postby kfeuz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 22:37

Hello Everyone,

I am currently a PhD. student at Washington State University, USA. I'm am interested in working on the Orange project especially in the areas of neural networks or transfer learning.

I became acquainted with Orange through a machine learning course last fall. I noticed that neural networks were missing from the framework and for my final project I implemented a standard multi-layer perceptron with back-propagation using Orange. Needless to say, I was very excited that Orange is looking to add this type of functionality to the framework. My code is pure python rather than C++ code with a python wrapper but it would give me a good starting point for the project. If you are interested in seeing it I would be glad to share. I have a few different ideas as to how to make the neural network tool flexible enough to accommodate a wide variety of uses and I was hoping to get some feedback on them before I turn in my application. Should I post them here or is there someone I could send them to directly?

My other area of interest is in transfer learning. I noticed that Orange is also lacking implementations of transfer learning algorithms. If there is interest, I would actually prefer to work on a project that adds transfer learning techniques to the framework. Again, before I draw up a proposal, I was hoping to get some feedback. Transfer learning itself is a huge area and would probably need to be further broken down by adding specific algorithms for different use-cases. I think this type of project would be a huge benefit to the machine learning community as there is not currently much transfer learning code integrated into an existing framework. Would you guys be interested in a project along these lines?

Thanks,
Kyle Feuz

Re: GSOC: Neural Networks or Transfer Learning

Postby jurezb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 13:02

Should I post them here or is there someone I could send them to directly?

Including your ideas in the proposal is probably the best idea. They will surely be taken into consideration when selecting this year's participants. Attaching the source code of your implementation of the multi-layer perceptron was also not a bad idea.

Return to General Discussions