Orange Forum • View topic - Problem with Visualization Widgets on Orange Canvas (Linux)

Problem with Visualization Widgets on Orange Canvas (Linux)

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

Problem with Visualization Widgets on Orange Canvas (Linux)

Postby colinmac » Wed May 23, 2007 12:27

Dear Reader,

I hope you can help me. Im new to orange and have decided to use it for a research project. Although Orange works fine for Windows, it appears to have problems on Linux;
for reference, Im using Fedora 6.0.

Downloading the following version of Orange:
orange-linux-snap-2007-04-11.tgz.
I have been able to get everything BUT the Visualization widgets working on the Orange Canvas.
When ever I click on one of the Visualization icons I get the following error message:

//*********************************************************************
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orange/OrangeCanvas/orngDoc.py", line 262, in addWidget
newwidget = orngCanvasItems.CanvasWidget(self.signalManager, self.canvas, self.canvasView, widget, self.canvasDlg.defaultPic, self.canvasDlg)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orange/OrangeCanvas/orngCanvasItems.py", line 349, in __init__
exec(code)
File ".", line 1, in ?

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orange/OrangeWidgets/Visualize/OWParallelCoordinates.py", line 14, in ?
from OWParallelGraph import *
File "/home/colin/downloads/orange/build/lib/orange/OrangeWidgets/Visualize/OWParallelGraph.py", line 5, in ?
from OWGraph import *
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orange/OrangeWidgets/OWGraph.py", line 8, in ?
from qwt import *
ImportError: No module named qwt
//******************************************************

I have downloaded and complied the following packages, which I believe Orange depends upon:

qwt-4.2.0
PyQt-x11-gpl-3.17
numarray-1.5.2
numpy-1.0.2
PyQwt-4.2.2
qt-x11-free-3.3.8

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me get Orange 'talking' to the qwt package and get the Visualization widgets working.

Regards,

Colin Mclean.

Postby Gregor Leban » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:54

Hi Collin,

sorry that we kept you waiting for so long. Obviously we all overlooked your post.

The exceptions that you get tells me that your qwt is somehow invisible to python. I really don't know much about Linux, but on Windows you make a module visible to python by creating a file with a "pth" extension (usually in the python_path\lib\site-packages folder) where you write the path to the folder with the module. Try to find out if there is anything similar to this on Linux.

Best regards,
Gregor

Return to Bugs