Orange Forum • View topic - A nightly built version in the front page?

A nightly built version in the front page?

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

A nightly built version in the front page?

Postby daehyok » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42

Recently, I had quite annoying experience with the new version of Orange. Once I have upgraded Orange with the version listed in its front page, it crashed whenever I tried to remove a widget in a canvas.

I am questioning if the current practice to distribute a nightly built version from the front page is a good practice. Basically, if the version did not go through rigorous tests, there is high risk users can download very unstable version, and if it happens, you will loss the confidence of users over the software quality.

Why don’t you follow a widely adopted practice? You still distribute a nightly built version in one of your web page, but in the front page, you distribute only a version you have tested throughly. Users may not need a new version every day. They need to know which one is quite a stable one, and which one is bleeding edge.

I am downloading a new version now, and I hope it is more stable than before.

Re: A nightly built version in the front page?

Postby daehyok » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:00

I thought I raised a valid issue, not a little disappointed at not having any reply to it. :-(

Postby Ales » Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:43

It is a valid issue (and we should be doing it). You can create a ticket on trac (or I can do it for you).

Also can you describe the error in more detail (it sounds the same as http://orange.biolab.si/trac/ticket/799). However I can't duplicate it on a Mac (I am assuming that is what you are using from your posting history). Do you by any chance have a newer Qt installed on your system?

Postby daehyok » Sat Jun 11, 2011 0:06

Thanks for your reply, Ales. Please create a ticket about the nightly build issue for me. Re. the error I have posted, I am inspecting the cause in my side. Once I have more details I can report, I will come back to you. I have tried to install Qt in my system, but got an error message. If you can give any help for it, I am willing to give another try. Cheers.

Postby Ales » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:29

The error on ubuntu seems to be related to the use of drop shadow effect in the canvas. If I disable it (in the Options(Preferences on Mac) uncheck 'Enable drop shadows in canvas') then restart Orange the problem seems to go away. Do you have drops shadows enabled? If so, try running without it.

Postby daehyok » Thu Jun 16, 2011 20:13

Yes, Ales. I am using the shadow effect because I found it is fancy. I will drop the effect and see what happens. Thanks for your follow-up.

Return to Questions & Support