Orange Forum • View topic - Mac Lion Crash

Mac Lion Crash

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Mac Lion Crash

Postby rmatias » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03

Hi, I am trying to use Orange in a Mac (w/ Lion), but when loading any data from the documentation data set Orange keeps crashing. Any help?
Thanks

Re: Mac Lion Crash

Postby vtn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 13:12

Are you using the GUI? I installed the gui without problems and loading my own data works file. Could you try with a simple tab file
Last edited by vtn on Fri Jan 20, 2012 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rmatias » Fri Jan 20, 2012 13:32

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am using the GUI. It seems I am able to load files that I generate but none of the datasets from orange. Any idea why my system crashes?
Thanks

Postby vtn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 20:51

I don't know where to find the example data from the GUI, where is it in your case? then I can try

Postby rmatias » Sun Jan 22, 2012 14:51

I am loading it normally by: File > Data File > Browse Documentation Data sets ...
I have no idea where the data is in my Mac (I can't find it).
Thanks once again

Postby rmatias » Sun Jan 22, 2012 15:11

I manage to find it:

/Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orange/doc/datasets/

Postby vtn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 16:10

Thanks, I didn't notice the 'Browse Documentation Data sets ...' option. And I can confirm that it DOES crash for me too (also on Lion). As you say copying the files somewhere else will work. Here is another option to keep them where they are:

Use File -> Data File normal option to browse your system
In the open dialog press Cmd-Shift-G to open a go to folder dialog
Then paste (with mouse right click, keyboard doesn't work) the path /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orange/doc/datasets/ and open

Takes more time to write than to do!

So I guess there is a simple bug in the Browse Documentation Data sets code, as it crashes even when one doesn't select any file and clicks cancel in it!

Postby rmatias » Sun Jan 22, 2012 17:36

Thanks for your help. Lets hope it is fixed soon. Meanwhile I will use the workaround.

Postby Ales » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06

This seems to be a problem with the Qt (v4.6) build in the Orange bundle. It predates Lion so there may be some compatibility issues.
I have been meaning to update the bundle to use the latest Qt, so I will try to do this as soon as possible.

Postby vtn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20

I experience another error involving Qt that I will post soon

Postby edglazer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 17:29

Just to confirm, I'm having this problem as well, with the latest 2 svn images, downloaded from the front page download link, on Lion 10.7.2. Reading through the error message from Problem Reporter, it looks as though the issue may be something to do with fonts, as one of the last messages says:
Code: Select all
0xbb100000 - 0xbb103fff  libLatinSuppConverter.dylib (54.0.0 - compatibility 1.0.0) <E04F79A8-130A-3529-8D8A-E62821CF6A81> /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libLatinSuppConverter.dylib

However, I may be misunderstanding the information. Would it be helpful to have crash data, or is it assumed this is an issue related to Qt and Lion? Thanks!

Postby Ales » Sun Feb 05, 2012 20:44

edglazer wrote:Would it be helpful to have crash data, or is it assumed this is an issue related to Qt and Lion?

Yes it would be useful to have the crash data, if you can post it.

Postby Ales » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58

I have updated the bundle to use Python 2.7.2 and Qt 4.7.4. This seems to have fixed this problem.

Can you download the latest version and check that it works for you also.

Return to Questions & Support