Orange Forum • View topic - Cannot import Orange

Cannot import Orange

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Cannot import Orange

Postby velveteen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 21:37

I am new to Python, Orange and programming in general. I installed Python 2.7.2 and Orange on my mac running Lion. In the Python shell command line I entered "import Orange" as the documentation said but I keep getting:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
import orange
ImportError: No module named orange
>>>

I have no idea what this means. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Re: Cannot import Orange

Postby Ales » Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:42

How did you install Orange? From source (using setup.py install) from fink or the Application Bundle?

Postby JoshHemann » Fri Feb 17, 2012 21:33

I am having the same problem. I am on Windows 7, 64-bit, using the Enthought Python Distribution version 7.2.2, also 64-bit. After trying both the "full package" as well as the "pure Orange" Windows installers, I have an orange directory under site-packages but I get the same import error reported by velveteen.

Postby Ales » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29

JoshHemann wrote:I am having the same problem. I am on Windows 7, 64-bit, using the Enthought Python Distribution version 7.2.2, also 64-bit. After trying both the "full package" as well as the "pure Orange" Windows installers, I have an orange directory under site-packages but I get the same import error reported by velveteen.
The windows packages are build against 32-bit Python, so that could be the problem.

Postby JoshHemann » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48

Is there any hope for using Orange on 64-bit Windows?

Postby Ales » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52

You can use the provided Orange with a 32 bit python build.
Or you can also try a 64-bit Orange provided by Christoph Gohlke at http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#orange (but you will have to install the required dependencies yourself).

Postby Sheila » Wed Mar 14, 2012 18:48

Have you tried Orange with capital O

Code: Select all
import Orange

Return to Questions & Support