Orange Forum • View topic - Classifying apples with Orange?

Classifying apples with Orange?

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Classifying apples with Orange?

Postby cdjc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 20:31

Hi,

I'm not sure if Orange is suitable to this task. I would appreciate any pointers about whether it is, and if so, where to start.

I'd like to specify a classifier for apples. The apples have a number of attributes (size, weight, colour, blemish, etc), and they need to be classified into 'products' (e.g. export-large, export-small, local-market, juice). I'd like to be able to use the visual programming of orange to specify a classifier which will assign a product to a fruit given the attributes of that fruit.

It's for a proof-of-concept demonstration. Specifying the classifier using visual programming is required as an example of what the user-interface could/should/would look like.

Thanks,
Carl.

Re: Classifying apples with Orange?

Postby Ales » Thu Mar 01, 2012 13:03

Yes Orange is suitable for this task.

Simply load the training dataset (with defined 'products' variable) choose a learner/classifier method of your choice to train a model classifier. You can than use the classifier on a new dataset with no assigned 'products' by using the 'Predictions' widget, which will classify the new data instances.

To store the classifier to disk (for use in future sessions) use the 'Save/Load Classifier' widget pair (you will need to enable the 'Prototypes' category for this to work, see http://orange.biolab.si/trac/wiki/HowTo/EnablePrototypesWidgetCategory

Re: Classifying apples with Orange?

Postby cdjc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:04

Thanks,
Carl.

Return to Questions & Support