Orange Forum • View topic - Problems with building from source

Problems with building from source

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Problems with building from source

Postby Swetabh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 19:01

Hi,
I am a Mac user and have been trying to build Orange from source. I downloaded the bundle and tried to install it by using setup.py command. I get the following error:

error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 1

How can I resolve this? I have XCode installed. I also installed a version of GCC to try and correct this error but it still doesn't work.

I am trying to be able to use Orange from inside a python code. Is it possible to do that without doing this?

Thanks,
Swetabh

Re: Problems with building from source

Postby sloria1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:30

I had a similar problem. I downloaded the 64bit/32bit Python 2.7.3 from the python.org page: http://www.python.org/download/. This version comes with gcc-4.2 built in.

After I did this, however, I get a new error: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1568#p4409

Postby Ales » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04

Swetabh wrote: downloaded the bundle and tried to install it by using setup.py command
You don't need to use the setup.py to install the Mac OSX bundle.
If you just want to use the Orange library contained see http://orange.biolab.si/trac/wiki/HowTo/UseOrangeFromDMG.

Postby sloria1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50

If you have the latest version of Xcode installed, this should work: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1568#p4423

Postby Swetabh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41

@Ales: I want to be able to use Orange from the system python interpreter. I tried setting the environment variable as is mentioned in the link. It still doesn't work. I get the following error:

ImportError: No module named Orange

What should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34

Which version of OSX (and python) are you using?

Return to Questions & Support