Orange Forum • View topic - Fragile widget settings

Fragile widget settings

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Fragile widget settings

Postby phusen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:25

We are employing Orange Canvas to perform basic processing of mass spectrometry datasets. This involves a lot of merging, selecting, group by and feature constructor widgets implementing operations like quantification of molecular species using measured peaks of internal standards.

I am trying to provide a template for processing, where the users can just replace the input data files with their own, load up the schema and have everything processed in one go. I find, however, that the widget settings are extremely fragile to small changes in the domain of data tables, and it takes next to nothing to lose all widget settings in the entire schema. This is annoying when some parts of the schema are a bit complicated and difficult to set up again. The users may, e.g. specify sample information in different sets of attributes or just with different domains of values for the attributes, but these attributes are usually not directly used for the processing.

Any hints on how to make a more robust template for processing?

Re: Fragile widget settings

Postby Ales » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27

There is no easy fix for this. It would require some changes to the way widgets match and apply saved settings. Currently most play it safe and only load settings for a perfect domain match.

I think it would be best if you could identify the most offending widgets based on your usage and open a track ticket with and 'expected behavior example' for each one.

Return to Questions & Support