Orange Forum • View topic - errors in subsampling and feature creation documentation

errors in subsampling and feature creation documentation

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

errors in subsampling and feature creation documentation

Postby dimachi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:10

Hi,
I am trying to use orange from ipython --
I am following the tutorial on http://orange.biolab.si/doc/reference/O ... ta.sample/
to get a random sample (subset) from a dataset:
neither
indices2.random_generator = Orange.misc.random.Random(42)
ERROR" AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Random'
nor
indices2.random_generator = Orange.misc.Random(42)
ERROR: "TypeError: invalid parameter type for 'orange.MakeRandomIndices2.random_generator', (expected 'orange.RandomGenerator', got 'Random')"

Also -- I was trying to convert a python numpy-array dataset, X, y into orange directly, without writing it to file first: I tried to use snippets from http://orange.biolab.si/doc/reference/O ... a.formats/
and they don't work:
Orange.feature.Discrete -- Discrete is not part of feature... I tried to search for it ()e.g. orange.feature, 'discrete vs. Discrete' and can't find it. I downloaded the latest release of orange for ubuntu, version '2.0b (15:11:32, Jan 24 2012)'.

Please help -- it looks like a powerful package, but I'm getting too many errors from following the examples in the tutorials...

Thanks!
Dmitry.

Re: errors in subsampling and feature creation documentation

Postby marko » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:52

The debian packages you used are outdated (I have just removed them from the web page).

You will have to install from source. Remove the Orange package but not the dependencies and install Orange with pip or easy_install or download the source and use python setup.py install.

You will probably also have to install some of the dependencies.

Re: errors in subsampling and feature creation documentation

Postby dimachi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:52

Thanks, that does work now!

Return to Questions & Support