Orange Forum • View topic - Is Orange Right For Me?

Is Orange Right For Me?

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Is Orange Right For Me?

Postby championventures » Mon Jun 03, 2013 17:23

Hello,

I have set out to learn some skills that would enable me to work on some projects I wanted to tackle, which entail web scraping/data gathering and data analysis. I thought my path would be to take some online classes for Database/SQL learning along with some web scraping tutorials. I have a very very basic understanding of PHP and SQL, so I thought this would naturally be the best place to start.

However, I have stumbled upon the Orange software and have become very intrigued by it. Do you think it would be better/faster/more efficient for me to go through the Orange tutorials and use it for me data collection/analysis? Keeping in mind that I have no understanding of Python, are there enough beginner resources for me to be able to figure out how to use Orange? Any general advice would be much appreciated, I am trying to just figure out the best direction to get started. I am willing to work hard and learn whatever I need to, I just want to make sure I put that effort into the right direction.

P.S. My projects would probably just entail web scraping for data, analyzing that data through different lenses/algorithms, and creating a simple web script to make the data and analysis available for some others to sort through as well.

Re: Is Orange Right For Me?

Postby Ales » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:06

championventures wrote:Do you think it would be better/faster/more efficient for me to go through the Orange tutorials and use it for me data collection/analysis? Keeping in mind that I have no understanding of Python, are there enough beginner resources for me to be able to figure out how to use Orange?
The scripting tutorials/reference assume familiarity with the Python language, so you would have to learn that first (as a plus you could then use Beautiful Soup library for the web scraping part). It also assumes basic knowledge of machine learning, data mining, statistical analysis.

championventures wrote:My projects would probably just entail web scraping for data, analyzing that data through different lenses/algorithms, and creating a simple web script to make the data and analysis available for some others to sort through as well.
Orange can only help you with the analysis.

Return to Questions & Support