Orange Forum • View topic - installing orange with enthought python on 64-bit windows

installing orange with enthought python on 64-bit windows

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

installing orange with enthought python on 64-bit windows

Postby ravvis77 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 15:21

Hi,
I like what I see about orange. I would like to know the following :
1. Can orange work on a 64 bit windows 81? On 64-bit ubuntu 12.04?
2 Can I install orange on top of enthought python?
I would appreciate any help that I can get. I look forward to working with Orange.
Thanks,
Ravi

Re: installing orange with enthought python on 64-bit window

Postby Ales » Mon Nov 18, 2013 16:27

ravvis77 wrote:Can orange work on a 64 bit windows 81?
In general yes, but we do not provide 64 bit win installers. However you might try the Christoph Gohlke's unofficial packages which includes a 64 bit Orange installer.
ravvis77 wrote:... On 64-bit ubuntu 12.04?
Yes, follow the standard 'python setup.py install' procedure (but first install g++, numpy and scipy from the ubuntu provided packages, for the gui you will also need PyQt4 and PyQwt5)
ravvis77 wrote:Can I install orange on top of enthought python?
I don't know, I have never tried it. You could try running the enthought provided easy_install script on the before mentioned Christoph Gohlke's package. i.e download the 'Orange-2.7.2.win-amd64-py2.7.exe' file and run
Code: Select all
easy_install Orange-2.7.2.win-amd64-py2.7.exe

Postby ravvis77 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 17:25

Hi Ales,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried to install Orange3 on my Ubuntu 12.04 pc some time back. But I am not really able to make it work. I show below the messages that I get. I get the canvas window but with no icons. The GUI does not seem to work. I had some troube in instaling PyQT. Do the messages below show enough information for troubleshooting? Please et me know what I can do to fix these problems :

ravi@ravi-S3:~$ python3 -m Orange.canvas
/usr/bin/python3: No module named Orange
ravi@ravi-S3:~$ cd /home/ravi/orange3
ravi@ravi-S3:~/orange3$ py3thon3 -m Orange.canvas
Orange/__init__.py:33: UserWarning: Some features will be disabled due to failing modules
Importing '.data' failed: No module named bottleneck
_import(".data")
Orange/__init__.py:35: UserWarning: Importing '.feature.discretization' failed: No module named bottleneck
_import(".feature.discretization")
Orange/__init__.py:36: UserWarning: Importing '.data.discretization' failed: No module named bottleneck
_import(".data.discretization")
ERROR:Orange.canvas.registry.discovery:Could not load 'Orange Widgets = Orange.widgets' (unsatisfied dependencies).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Orange/canvas/registry/discovery.py", line 89, in run
point = entry_point.load()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1989, in load
if require: self.require(env, installer)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2002, in require
working_set.resolve(self.dist.requires(self.extras),env,installer)))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 584, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: bottleneck

I don't recall now why I chose Orange3 instead of Orange. Do you think that I will have better luck with plain Orange?

Once again, I wil be grateful for any help.
Thanks,
Ravi

Postby Ales » Mon Nov 18, 2013 17:33

ravvis77 wrote:Do you think that I will have better luck with plain Orange?
Yes. Please use the Orange 2.* for now.

Postby ravvis77 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 18:56

Hi Ales,
Thanks once again. But the basic problem remains with Orange 2.* also. It was a while since I did this. I followed the instructions shown in the following link :

http://manojbits.wordpress.com/2012/09/ ... ntu-12-04/

Can you point me to a link with detailed instructions for installing orange 2.* on ubuntu 12.04. I need instructions for installing additional packages like PyQT also. I must add that I am a newcomer to ubuntu.
Thanks,
Ravi

Postby Ales » Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:50

ravvis77 wrote: I need instructions for installing additional packages like PyQT also. I must add that I am a newcomer to ubuntu.
PyQt and PyQwt are already in Ubuntu package repository. Run
sudo apt-get install python-qt python-qwt5-qt4
from the terminal or search for the packages in the Ubuntu software center and install from there.

Postby ravvis77 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 22:50

This is a follow-up to my previous posting on the installation of Orange on 64 bit Windows 8.1. On top of enthought canopy python, I tried to install the 64 bit version of Orange through the binary from Gohlke,s site. The installation itself appeared to conclude successfully - no warnings or error messages were seen.
But I get the following error now :
>>> import Orange
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "c:\users\john\user\lib\site-packages\orange-2.7.2-py2.7-win-amd64.egg\Or
ange\__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
from . import orange
ImportError: cannot import name orange
>>>
Does this error message suggest anything?
If no way of installing the 64 bit version is easiy available, I am considering the installation of the 32 bit version. At the same time, I would like to retain enthought canopy. Is there any way of insulating the Orange installation from the python from enthought canopy? Would appreciate any help that I can get.
Thanks

Postby lmaga » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:02

Hi,

Orange is just what I need for my applications, but I cannot get it run in two systems.
Does anybody have found a solution for this problem?
I am facing the same installation troubles in a Windows 7 and Windows 8 64 bit system with Enthought Python 2.7 by using Christoph Gohlke's link.
I would appreciate any clue or help, please.

Postby Ales » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28

lmaga wrote:I am facing the same installation troubles in a Windows 7 and Windows 8 64 bit system with Enthought Python 2.7 by using Christoph Gohlke's link.
I just tested a fresh Enthought Python 2.7 64-bit installation on Windows 7 and then ran the Christoph Gohlke's build of Orange and the imports succeeds fine.
C:\Users\ales>python
Enthought Canopy Python 2.7.6 | 64-bit | (default, Apr 11 2014, 20:31:44) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import Orange
>>> Orange.__file__
'c:\\users\\ales\\appdata\\local\\enthought\\canopy\\user\\lib\\site-packages\\Orange\\__init__.pyc'
>>> iris = Orange.data.Table("iris")
>>>

Return to Questions & Support