Orange Forum • View topic - Orange 2.7 mac crash after addon instal

Orange 2.7 mac crash after addon instal

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Orange 2.7 mac crash after addon instal

Postby jakub » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09

Hi,
I am new to Orange on mac so my question is maybe very basic.
On my mac (10.9 Mavericks) I have installed Orange 2.7 and used it without any problems.
Then I have tried to instal some add-ons to test them - from the regular menu. One of these was not installed with some message window with explanation which I have closed and finished the installind of others addons. After Orange restart, the program constatnly crashes at start. I have tried to remove it and reinstall - but with no effect, it keeps crashing on start. (On PC the same addons work correctly)
Please, is there a way to completely remove the program and all of its remnants to reinstall it from scratch?
Thank you,
Jakub.

Re: Orange 2.7 mac crash after addon instal

Postby roscoe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:50

Hi Jakub, this happened to me yesterday also (Mavericks), and I couldn't resolve the issue, I would also like to know how to manually disable all add-ons

Postby Ales » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20

jakub wrote:After Orange restart, the program constatnly crashes at start. I have tried to remove it and reinstall - but with no effect, it keeps crashing on start. (On PC the same addons work correctly)
Can you post the Orange Canvas log. It is located in "~/Library/Logs/Orange Canvas/canvas.log" (you can use the Console application (in /Applications/Utilities) to view the log, or just use your favorite text editor)
jakub wrote:Please, is there a way to completely remove the program and all of its remnants to reinstall it from scratch?
The add-ons are installed in the "user site packages" in "~/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages". You could just delete the .egg files for the add-ons but I would recommend to use the bundled pip executable to uninstall packages.
Open the Terminal and first run (assuming Orange was installed in /Applications folder)
Code: Select all
/Applications/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/pip freeze
to see a list of installed packages. It should print something like
Orange==2.7.3
Orange-Bioinformatics==2.5a19
Orange-Text==1.2a1
distribute==0.6.49
ipython==0.12
numpy==1.6.1
orangeqt-qt==0.0.1a
requests==2.0.1
scipy==0.9.0
slumber==0.6.0
wsgiref==0.1.2

Then uninstall individual entries by running (for instance)
/Applications/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/pip uninstall Orange-Text

It would help me if you could try starting Orange Canvas after each successive add-on uninstall to track down the one causing the problem.

Postby Ales » Wed Nov 27, 2013 13:46

I've tracked down the problem to the Orange-NMF add-on.
It would raise an SystemError on import if PIL (Python Imaging Library) was not installed. So I added the library to the current application build.
I also disabled the 'user site packages' so now all add-ons will be installed in the application bundle itself and will be deleted along side it when reinstalling the application.

Jakub and roscoe, please download the latest build from the front page and reinstall.

Return to Questions & Support