Orange Forum • View topic - out of memory

out of memory

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

out of memory

Postby baanz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 17:30

Import data and data analysis:

I handle data tables with + 500.000 rows and about 100 columns for measurement data analysis.

As I import data via .csv import, the progress runs out of memory. Finally I figured out a succeeding way, nevertheless trying some scatter plots etc. I faced same problems.
system: 3GB RAM, 64 Bit Win7
I would be thankful for any hints.

Beside the online documentation is there any other source?

Re: out of memory

Postby Ales » Thu Feb 20, 2014 14:42

The binaries we provide for Windows are only 32-bit. This means that even if run on a 64 bit system the process can only address at most 4GB of virtual memory (I think Windows limits this even further to 2G).

You might try Christoph Gohlke 64-bit unofficial builds which also includes Orange. In particular you will need to install the official python-2.7.6-amd64 (If you want to keep your current Python installation install it in some other place then the default (for instance C:\Python27-64\), and when prompted to select components to install (Customize Python screen) unselect the "Register Extensions"), then find and install the following packages from the Christoph Gohlke's site:

setuptools
numpy
scipy
PyQt
PyQwt
networkx
Orange

Be careful to select the proper installer among different choices (look for py2.7 and x64 or amd64 in the name)

Note that this will not install the Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts for Orange Canvas. However the program launcher should be installed in C:\Python27-64\Scripts\orange-canvas.exe (you can create the Desktop shortcut manually).

Return to Questions & Support