Orange Forum • View topic - Discretization issues

Discretization issues

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Discretization issues

Postby aquadila » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29

Hi there. I'm new to orange, so apologies if this question is a bit simplistic.

I have a data set with an attribute which is a range of discrete integers, but there are many (range of more or less 1000), so orange sees them as continuous. Using the discretize widget I am only able to convert them to interval ranges, with a maximum distribution of 10 intervals. This is not what I want.

I want it to recognize each integer in the full range as a discrete value so I can perform investigations on specific instances. Is there any way to do this? Am I missing something very basic somewhere?

Thanks.

Re: Discretization issues

Postby Ales » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28

aquadila wrote:Is there any way to do this? Am I missing something very basic somewhere
No there is no ready available way to do this.
The best solution for this would be if you loaded the attribute as a discrete from the beginning. Are all 1000 values actually present in the data set? If not you can specify all the values an attribute can take in the tab file header like so
Code: Select all
Name
d 1 2 3 4

i.e list them after the type specifier (d or discrete in your case). Of course you would generate the range of numbers and not write them manually.

Return to Questions & Support