Orange Forum • View topic - Orange doesn't recognize Graphviz!

Orange doesn't recognize Graphviz!

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Orange doesn't recognize Graphviz!

Postby June » Sun Oct 28, 2007 15:59

Hi,
I tried to construct interaction graph based on entropy measures.
I successed this work 3 weeks ago.
But I had a problem in my computer, so I reinstalled WinXp.
After then, I cannot construct interaction graph.
I installed "graphviz-2.15.20071025.0440.exe" and then installed "Orange with Python 2.5".

Error maseage like below.

-----------------------------
Error. This widget needs graphviz software package installed. You can find it
on the internet.
-----------------------------

The technician said my computer and new intalled WinXp were OK.
I have three computer, I tried with all three but results were all same like above.
I installed Graphviz in the directory of Python and also in same directory in Orange, but these were all useless.
Please help me.
I have to darw interaction graph.

Postby Gregor Leban » Mon Oct 29, 2007 18:23

Hi,

you get that error because you don't have the graphviz folder in your system path. I think it should be added automatically when you installed graphviz, but obviously it didn't.

You can simply fix this by right clicking on My computer icon on your desktop, then Properties. Select Advanced tab, then "Environment variables" button. One among the user variables is "Path". Double click it and it will open a new window with variable name and variable value. At the end of the variable value you add ";" and then add the path to the graphviz's "bin" folder (that is, if you installed graphviz to "C:\program files\graphviz" then add "C:\program files\graphviz\bin". click Ok in the "Edit user variables" and in the "environment variables".

When you now restart orange, it should work.

Path was already exist.

Postby June » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:01

Thank you for answer.
I tried to follow your instruction.
But there was already ";C:\Program Files\Graphviz2.15\Bin" in the Path
And Interaction fuction still did not work.
Error maseage was same.

Please help me!

Postby Gregor Leban » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:01

can you please try and open a command prompt, type "dot" and press enter. If the path to the graphviz is really valid, you shouldn't get get an error message. Please, let me know what happens, because not being able to find dot was up to now the only reason why this widget didn't (and shouldn't) work.

Best regards,
Gregor

It didn't work.

Postby June » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:39

I typed "dot" in Command propt as you indicated.
It did not work.

Here is Korea, and the massage was in Korean.
But if translate it in English, like this. "The system cannot perform the order."

How do I have to do next?

Thanks for help!

Postby Gregor Leban » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:36

Check that the path "C:\Program Files\Graphviz2.15\Bin" is a valid path on your computer and that it really contains the "dot.exe" file. If it doesn't try reinstalling graphviz.

Graphviz Path

Postby Arif » Thu Nov 15, 2007 16:54

you need to double quote graphviz folder in the path variable
and any directories contain "." dot

Return to Questions & Support