Orange Forum • View topic - Starter

Starter

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Starter

Postby krish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 22:23

Hi,

I have some data for which I have to perform a decision tree analysis. I am not familiar with the theoretical concepts of this data-mining software, and am very new to this application.

Can someone kindly help me to get started? I do not quite understand where to start and what every term means when I read the information given in the website.

Thanks.

Regards,
Krishnan

where to start...

Postby miha » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50

The basic concept is connecting appropriate components (widgets) together, where every widget does some basic task useful to your problem. This ("connecting") can be done either with python scripting or by visual programming.

Since you are new to Orange I suggest you start with the latter. You should firstly read two white papers describing visual programming. Then just run Orange Canvas (/orange/OrangeCanvas/orngCanvas.pyw, or click on orange icon) and try pulling some widgets on the canvas and connecting them. As is explained in those papers, an output from a widget can be directed to the input of another widget and by double-clicking on a widget you can set its properties.

You can then read more about widgets here. For your problem I think you should start with these: File, DataTable (to see if the file is read), some visualization widgets to visualize and "feel" your data and one of the tree builders (to construct a classifier). Don't forget to evaluate your results!

If you have problems understanding some terms, look them up on the wiki or post them here.

I hope this will get you started,
Miha

Thanks Miha

Postby krish » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:25

Hi Miha,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I shall try as you suggested. Looks like I will be able to do it now that you have given suggestion for a pretty good way to start.

Thanks again. Shall post if I face any problem.

Krishnan

Return to Questions & Support