Orange Forum • View topic - Installation and Tutorial

Installation and Tutorial

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Installation and Tutorial

Postby frankE » Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:46

After successfully compiling Orange on my Fedora 9 desktop, setting environ variables (PYTHONPATH etc.) I started to explore the tutorial:

>>> import orange
>>> print orange.version
0.99b (13:27:55, Oct 13 2008)
>>> data = orange.ExampleTable("lenses")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: file 'lenses' is not found or has unknown extension

Seems, that one has to tell my version of 'orange' where this data can be found.
Could you, please, instruct me how to do this ?

Thanks,
Frank

Postby Janez » Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:05

I did not check the guide you talk about, but it probably supposes that you ran Python in the directory where you have the data file (lenses.tab). You're probably in another directory, so you have to enter the path to the file, e.g. data = orange.ExampleTable("/home/frank/orange/lenses").

Janez

Postby frankE » Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:35

[quote="Janez"]I did not check the guide you talk about, but it probably supposes that you ran Python in the directory where you have the data file (lenses.tab). You're probably in another directory, so you have to enter the path to the file, e.g. data = orange.ExampleTable("/home/frank/orange/lenses").

Janez[/quote]

Thanks. This worked !

Found example data in <my_path>/trunk/testing/widgetDebugging/datasets/

Maybe useful as installation hint for others:

with numpy & PyQt4-devel RPMs + PyQwt-5.1 (installed according to http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/doc5/install.html) compilation with Fedora 9 Linux was easy after modifying 'makefile.defs':

ifeq ($(OS), Darwin)
else
ifeq ($(OS), FreeBSD)
else
COMPILEOPTIONS = -fPIC -fpermissive -w -DLINUX -D$(MODULENAME)_EXPORTS -O3 -I/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include
endif
endif

Best,
Frank

Change to: ... -I/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include
if you've set up 32-bit Linux.

Return to Questions & Support