Orange Forum • View topic - Installing on Linux -- total confusion

Installing on Linux -- total confusion

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Installing on Linux -- total confusion

Postby eliasz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 13:03

Dear developers,
I'm totally confused with Linux installation. There numerous theoretically possible ways to do it, neither of which seems to work on my Ubuntu 9.10.

I've installed in on Debian using old version snapshot. It doesn't work here.

Which of the paths should I proceed? As the link "Nightly packed sources" leads to 403 error, I've downloaded the trunk and fight on.
There is confusion on building from sources and setup.py script. Does the script trigger the build? Or it copies some obscure pre-compiled binaries? Do I need the script when building from sources?

1. Trying to compile the sources (trunk/source).
Finally make has finished (although I needed to re-run it several times to stop reporting errors -- just like LaTEX). Then doing 'make install' does not return the promised directory list. Instead it returns:
"Please use Python Distutils to install Orange"
What does it mean? Is there any help on the "Distutils way"?
Even if I somehow work it out how to add the paths, do I need to get to the directory with Python files (.py)? This seems to be the C++ only part.

2. the magical install-scripts/linux directory
The script doesn't see my PyQT install, although the package python-qt4-dev is installed. This is not a major problem, since I don't need to run the Canvas on this computer. The real problem is:
Sipconfig not found, Qt version could not be found!
PyQwt not installed!
You can get it at: http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/
Can not determine GCC version!
Version should be added manually (edit setup.py and replace ADDVERSION)

(I'd already entered the arbitrary 1.5 version number since I couldn't find the official number)

OK then, why do it needs PyQwt if it has already accepted that I don't have pyqt? Anyway I've tried to install it from sources. Fail. (../qwt-5.1/src/qwt_global.h:15:21: error: qglobal.h: No such file or directory. And so on).

Should I really proceed this painful path? I don't need any GUI, just working scripting possibilities.

3. The 1.0 snapshot.
Installing from source directory leads to the same half-success. The c++ sources do compile, make install does not return any useful info.

The setup.py behaves exactly as described above (can't see the qt, qwt and so on).

Since Orange still seems a best option for me (at least it works on my Debian box), I will keep on fighting with the issue. If I solve it, I will report it here. Anyway I would really appreciate any help.

Postby marko » Tue Jul 28, 2009 17:03

If you do not need widgets, the installation should proceed as follow. This procedure works on Ubuntu 8.04 and it should be similar on 9.04. You might need to change python directory from /usr/lib/python2.5 to /usr/lib/python2.6 if that is the new default.

Install the necessary packages first:
Code: Select all
apt-get install subversion make g++ python-dev  python-numarray-ext  python-numpy-ext python-numeric-ext

To download Orange repository run:

mkdir orangesvn
cd orangesvn
svn co http://www.ailab.si/svn/orange/trunk/

If you have any proble

Compile it:

cd source
make
cd ..

Transfer files. Tar is used instead of cp because it can be told to exclude unnecessary files and because it keeps symbolic links as links:

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange
tar -cf - *.so *.a | sudo tar --no-same-owner -xf - -C /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange
cd orange
tar -cf - --exclude='.svn' * | sudo tar --no-same-owner -xf - -C /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange

Enable python to find installed modules by creating a .pth file and a symbolic link:

sudo sh -c "echo '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange' > /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange.pth"
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orange/liborange.so /usr/lib/liborange.so

If you experience any problems with these procedure, please report them.

Regards,
Marko

Postby jfjanssen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 17:24

Would you happen to have made such a description for people who do need widgets? :)

If not, could you make a description as clear as the one you've posted above? I'd be very grateful if you did, and I am sure many others will be grateful, too.

Postby marko » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33

Instructions for installation on Linux, particularly for Ubuntu 9.04, can be found in INSTALL.linux.txt file with Orange's sources.

Link for quick access:
http://www.ailab.si/svn/orange/trunk/orange/INSTALL.linux.txt

Regards,
Marko

INSTALL.linux.txt script on UBUNTO 9.10 succes!!! but...

Postby hugo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:33

Hi there,

thank you for taking up orange again , much appriciated!!!

I have succesfully installed orange on Ubuntu Karmic with python 2.6 using the INSTALL.linux.txt instructions.

some remarks though:
3. COMPILING AND INSTALLING ORANGE

Move to the directory containing the downloaded Orange's sources. Compile the
C++ sources:

cd source
make
cd .. #to move to main orange directory
## here i think we ned to go into /orange to not copy everything from trunk in /usr/lib/p...
cd orange

Transfer files. Tar is used instead of cp because it can exclude unnecessary
files and keeps symbolic links. For other systems, substitute the install path
with your python package directory.

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange
tar -cf - --exclude='.svn' * | sudo tar --no-same-owner -xf - -C /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange
## here we only want to copy the copiled o*.so files ...
sudo cp o*.so /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange

sudo sh -c "echo '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange' > /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange.pth"
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/orange/liborange.so /usr/lib/liborange.so

again thanks for the nice tooling, hope it is stable and can handle big datasets... let's mine that data!

hugo

Return to Questions & Support