Orange Forum • View topic - File upload

File upload

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

File upload

Postby joaovduarte » Fri Nov 20, 2009 13:31

Is there a limit for the data size orange can handle? If I would like to upload a dataset with few examples but near 1000000 features, would it be possible?

Postby Janez » Fri Nov 20, 2009 21:44

Try it and tell us. ;)

I believe it should fit into memory, but working with such data might be slow since some operations which Orange does routinely may require searches across the attributes, which requires linear time.

Why isn't this optimized? Well, I'm not sure it needs to be. Could you really do anything useful with a few examples and one million features, even assuming that Orange supported it?

Postby joaovduarte » Sat Nov 21, 2009 14:54

It doesn't work... it just appears a "forbidden" sign above the "File" widget.

No, I do not intend to do anything with a dataset like this but maybe just ranking the attrbiutes or something simple like that..

Postby Janez » Mon Nov 23, 2009 22:26

It probably means that there is something wrong with the data. Move the mouse over the sign: what does the tooltip say?

Postby joaovduarte » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12

It says "bad allocation".

This file is written by a Matlab routine. I created a much smaller file with the same routine and the file is created in the Orange input format, this file works fine. I also thought it could be because of having numbers in the format 3.985e-10 (for example) but Orange can read it, it read the smaller file with data like this...

Return to Questions & Support