Orange Forum • View topic - Make BoostedLearnerClass a subclass of Learner

Make BoostedLearnerClass a subclass of Learner

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

Make BoostedLearnerClass a subclass of Learner

Postby edymtt » Sat May 24, 2008 13:45

I'm developing for a university exam a little widget that enables the creation of boosted learners in Orange Canvas, encapsulating BoostedLearnerClass. Once I've finished a rought version of it, I've used the Test Learners Widget to compare the performance of a boosted learner and a tree classifier. At this point the canvas complained that orngEnsemble.BoostedLearnerClass wasn't a subclass of orange.Learner.

Thus I've checked the code and in fact BoostedLearnerClass doesn't derive from orange.Learner. I've done this change in my Orange installation and the Test Learners Widget now works fine in the cited scenario. I've also noticed that BaggedLearnerClass doesn't derive from orange.Learner but RandomForestLearner does.

I want to ask if the change I've made is correct and if this can be done in "official" Orange - boosted learners and bagged learners are learners with no doubt and it seems reasonable to compare them with other learners. I want also to ask if you're interested in adding my widget to Orange.

Postby sapienza » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39

I am absolutely interested in the use of boosting in Orange, so i support your request, which seems it hasn't been listened. I am explorating in these days this interesting technique.

Postby Janez » Fri Sep 26, 2008 14:39

Done.

Janez

Return to Wish List