Orange Forum • View topic - data mining widgets to replace Clementine

data mining widgets to replace Clementine

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

data mining widgets to replace Clementine

Postby fij » Mon Jul 20, 2009 14:27

Dear Developers and Users of Orange,

I am looking for an open source alternative to SPSS Clementine (PASW modeler). Many thanks for running Orange -- it's really fun.

Below I've listed the data mining capabilities of Clementine that we use frequently. Do you happen to know, if these are available in Orange? Or maybe they could be added? One would need Python and Tcl/Tk for adding them, right?

(1) "Record" menu: select, sample, balance, aggregate, sort, merge, append, distinct. (2) "Field" menu: type, filter, derive, filler, anonymize, reclassify, binning, partition, setToFlag, restructure, transpose, time intervals, history, field recorder.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Illes
--
http://angel.elte.hu/fij

Postby Gregor Leban » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49

Hi,

I'm one of the Orange orange developers and I can say that many of the mentioned features are already implemented in Orange. The record menu would in Orange be represented by widgets in the "Data" tab.

I cannot say much for the Field menu since I'm not very familiar with Clementine.

If some features are not yet implemented I'm sure that they can easily be implemented. You need to know Python and Qt in order to do that.

Would you be willing to provide any financing for the development of these features? The reason why I'm asking this is that the project I'm currently working on at the faculty will soon end and I'll have to find some other source of financing in order to be able to continue working on Orange. If you want, you can send me your reply at gregor.leban@fri.uni-lj.si.

Regards,
Gregor

Return to Wish List