Orange Forum • View topic - PCA, PLS and other basic chemometric routines

PCA, PLS and other basic chemometric routines

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

PCA, PLS and other basic chemometric routines

Postby Giorgio » Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:46

First of all let me say that orange is wonderful ! I've recently discovered python and then discovering orange let me use software without getting mad to create an interface.
I've created modules for common chemometric tasks in python and I was wondering if it can be difficult to include them as widget in orange..so it can be easy to perform common chemometric task like PCA,PLS etc. having the benefits of Orange

Thanks again for developing Orange
Giorgio

Postby Janez » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:21

Giorgio, PCA is already there, hidden (a bit) in Linear Projection widget (in Visualization pane). You have to click on FreeViz, and will then find Supervised and standard PCA there. This was done primarily for comparison to FreeViz, but it's useful anyway. [PCA should have its own widget, and so should PLS].

For writing your own widgets there is some start-up documentation in http://www.ailab.si/orange/doc/widgets/default.htm.

Janez

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29

Hello Janez, thanks for the reply I will tryto use them, and as soon as I understand better how to program widget I hope to contribute
Giorgio

Postby Blaz » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42

Giorgo, prototype for PLS is now also in the code, in orngRegression. That is, you cannot use it through widgets. It is a prototype, as it can handle multiple outcomes and we do not have the idea how to deal with this in the widgets. Also, there is no specific evaluation environment set to this kind of predictor (orngStat and orngTest were designed to deal with problems with one outcome variable).

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 13:54

Thank I will give it a try to PLS too

Multiple response PLS

Postby lareooreal » Thu Mar 05, 2009 16:35

I would LOVE to have access to a multiple response PLS as well as a simple PCA. I do know how to deal with it and how to visualise the results nicely.

I am not familiar with the widget programming. Would someone like to help my while I would support to induce the way how multiple responses shall be visualised. I think the most interesting thing would be to place these methods at first into the "visualsation" section to allow a comprehensive exploratory data analysis. I use it mainly for datamining of basic data structures for biomarker research (microarrays, proteomics) and it is
very powerfull to explain data to non experts too.

Please some of the Orange wizzards help me to get it done ;-)

Return to Wish List