Orange Forum • View topic - go 100% python?

go 100% python?

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

go 100% python?

Postby gary » Wed May 27, 2009 16:02

I am having some problems building the source under fedora, so it makes me wonder, is it possible to go 100% python? and maybe use a setup.py to make the installation simpler. Beside efficiency and maybe legacy code, is there any other reason for using c code as part of Orange?

Anyway, if there is a plan to port everything into python, I am happy to help out.

Cheers,
Gary

Postby Janez » Sat May 30, 2009 0:11

No, we are not going to abandon the C code. We would, if we could - programming in C is not that much fun.

There is a project called Elefant, which is somewhat similar to Orange. As I understand, they code it in Python, profile it, and then replace the slower parts with C (we do the opposite - we have the core in Python and the code the upper layers in Python).

I once met the group and talked with one of its principal developers, Kishor Gawande. These guys really know Python and all its libraries in and out. So if they cannot do it in pure Python + numpy + similar libraries, then it can't be done. ;)

Postby gary » Sun May 31, 2009 2:02

I see, and thanks for the references. I'll go check it out.:)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 19:24

so, as I understand, Orange can NOT be used with Google App Engine.

Google wrote:You can use any pure Python third party libraries in your Google App Engine application. (link)

:? :( :( :( :(

Postby Janez » Fri Jul 31, 2009 20:58

It depends upon how you define "be used with". You cannot upload Orange to Google, but you can set up Orange on a different server and use it through AJAX or standard http from Python. I have to confess that I know Google Apps just vaguely, so I don't know whether this would be useful and practical.

For something similar, you can take a look at http://www.ailab.si/dictyexpress/ (there are also some screencasts). This thing is a Flash application which communicates with Orange running on a web server. We have some other similar things, but this is the most advanced one, I guess.

Return to Wish List