Orange Forum • View topic - 64 bit, windows 7

64 bit, windows 7

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

64 bit, windows 7

Postby richard palmer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:40

is 64 bit version of orange available? if so, is it available for vista or W7?

Postby Janez » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12

There is no 64-bit Orange, but I use the 32-bit version on Windows 7 without any problems.

Postby blue » Thu Dec 10, 2009 13:51

Do you use Orange on 64-bit Windows 7 or 32-bit? I can't run it on 64-bit W7 with Python 2.6 installed.

Postby Janez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 14:27

You're right, I'm using Orange on 32-bit Python. I was so ignorant that I didn't even realize there are two versions of Python and so on. :oops:

I only noticed that when I began to mess with 32-bit and 64-bit libraries myself. What happens with Orange? You cannot import the module or it doesn't install at all? (I would try it myself, but I'd hate to mess up my system by installing another version of Python.)

Do you have more experience with this? We probably have to build the 64-bit DLLs Orange, right? Does Visual Studio support cross compiling? Binary distributions of Orange are currently compiled on 32-bit Windows XP.

Postby blue » Thu Dec 10, 2009 15:05

Thanks for very fast response.

I was not enough specific either :) I use 64-bit Windows 7, but 32-bit Python 2.6, because some modules does not exist (support) for 64-bit version. I installed Orange without problem, but unfortunately i can't run it. Is there any log or something?

I don't have much experience with compiling 64-bit libraries. As i know VS has 64-bit compiler, but i don't know if there are any changes in source needed.

Postby Janez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 15:10

Then we have the same configuration. (Almost: I have Python 2.5, but this shouldn't make any difference.)

Do you try to import module orange from a script, or are you just trying to run Orange Canvas? Is suppose the latter. You probably miss some libraries, like PyQt. Can you check what do you have in C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR_NAME]\Application Data\orange\OrangeCanvasQt4\outputLog.html?

Postby blue » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:31

I couldn't find "outputLog.html" (btw: in Vista and 7 should be in "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\orange\OrangeCanvasQt4\"), because Orange didn't even start. But I found out the problem is not in Orange. I ran "orngCanvas.pyw" (double click) and nothing happend - strange. Then I ran it from cmd ("pythonw orngCanvas.pyw") and it worked. So, I think the problem is in some system settings.

However, I have to apologize for taking your time, because I was too lazy and didn't try this before.

Thanks for your help.

Return to Bugs