Orange Forum • View topic - Custom Widget Not Showing Up in Orange Canvas

Custom Widget Not Showing Up in Orange Canvas

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

Custom Widget Not Showing Up in Orange Canvas

Postby Kev » Thu Jun 03, 2010 14:48

I recently installed Orange and all the reqs for Orange on Windows XP. I thought I would try the example in the documentation for creating your own widget, the example was for OWDataSamplerA.

But this widget is not showing up in the Orange Canvas. When I run it on its own (i.e., testing it) I see a widget and it seems to be working fine, but it still will not show up in the Orange Canvas. I put a different python file from another directory - OWDataSampler.py from the Data directory into the Test directory - and then the tab for Test and the DataSampler widget shows up on Orange Canvas. But my widget does not show up.

I have double-checked the tutorial and my lines and also compared it with the python files done for Orange. I cannot find anything wrong with the custom widget script.

Any help in finding out why my widget is not showing up in Orange Canvas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kev

Postby Ales » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:24

Possible problems:
- Make sure your file is named the same as the OWWidget subclass inside it.
For instance OWDataSamplerA class should be in OWDataSamplerA.py file.
- The file must also start with at least
Code: Select all
"""<name>Your widget name</name>"""
(Try changing this - it might conflict with an existing widget)

Postby Kev » Fri Jun 04, 2010 13:16

OH! That was it. The name of the file I had created was "OWDatasamplerA.py". That lowercase 's' messed it up. :D Once I switched it to uppercase, all was right with the universe.

Thank you very much.

Kev

Return to Bugs