Orange Forum • View topic - great idea, terrible execution

great idea, terrible execution

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

great idea, terrible execution

Postby ceteri » Thu Sep 16, 2010 18:43

working with MacOSX 10.6, Python 2.6.1, Fink-0.29.10

the universal bundle works fine, but as far as i can tell it DOES NOT install support for scripting, which was my primary reason for using Orange

i've spent two days attempting to work through your instructions to get Orange installed on MacOSX so that it allows for scripting in Py -- and at this point i'm calling "bullshit"

why can't you provide a better binary or at least a "python setup.py install" approach?

Postby Ales » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33

I have added an experimental setup.py script. Can you try downloading the source snapshot from http://www.ailab.si/orange/download/orange-source-snapshot-2010-10-20.zip unzip it in a new directory and run "python setup.py build" and "python setup.py install --user".

Postby tsteil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 23:46

FYI, I was able to do the fink install process on 10.6 and it seemed to work.
I had to completely remove fink and install the latest version though, since mine was pretty old.

Also, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I would suggest having a bit more respect for the hard work of the software developers.

Return to Bugs