Orange Forum • View topic - file import error

file import error

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

file import error

Postby leo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:11

I'm using windows version of the program and my system is windowsXP Sp3. I found that any tab-deliminated dataset can by imported by the File widget only when it's located at the Python26\Lib\site-packages\orange\doc\datasets directory, if I move it anywhere else ,it will export an error message:
Unhandled exception of type UnicodeEncodeError occured at 11:10:05:
Traceback:
File: OWFile.py, line 195 in browseFile
Code: filename = str(QFileDialog.getOpenFileName(self, 'Open Orange Data File', startfile, self.dlgFormats))
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 38-39: ordinal not in range(128)
please figure out what's going on

Postby treeninja » Thu Dec 23, 2010 20:53

Hmm, strange. It works for me just fine (audiology.tab dataset). Did you use the same file when you were trying to open if from other folder? Because the error you showed applies to the Encoding error of the file. Dataset might be faulty. Or if you created a new text file and copy => paste the content of dataset to it. File might be saved under different Encoding.

Return to Bugs