Orange Forum • View topic - Orange on the cloud

Orange on the cloud

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

Orange on the cloud

Postby Sindhura » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10

Has anyone deployed orange online?
I've tried to get up using stackato, app engine, but both of them seem to be out.
Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

Re: Orange on the cloud

Postby Mitar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:17

App Engine does not support Python libraries using C/C++ modules. Orange uses (for speed) C/C++ implementation of some algorithms. I do not know the limitations of stackato. What was your problem with Orange and stackato?

Postby Sindhura » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:24

i entered:
orange
in the requirements.txt file. (EDIT:this is the file where we specify what additional python modules we need.)
upon which it gives me the error

pypm -yf install --no-ignore -r /tmp/d20111124-7236-1tyzdbe/app/requirements.txt

i assume this is because it is not able to install the orange module?

Postby Mitar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:34

What exactly is the error? This is a command, not error message?

Probably the problem is that Orange is currently (not yet) on pypi and it seems your system tries to install it through it. We are working on providing a package on pypi.

Postby Mitar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:36

Or it seems we do have. ;-)

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Orange/2.0.1b

You should probably list Orange (with capital O) in requirements.txt?

Postby Sindhura » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49

Stackato refuses to start the application and returns the above command in the error log.
no luck using a capital O or Orange-2.0.1b. :)
strange. are there any other alternatives that would let me run in on the cloud?

Postby Mitar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:08

The above is not an error log. ;-) Maybe try on your own computer the above command and see what happens.

Postby Sindhura » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:42

Hi!
I redeployed the app on Stackato and it works like a charm :)
The guys at Stackato support also confirmed that they tried installing and running a simple orange app and it is compatible.
Thank you for the help!

Postby Mitar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:23

I am glad to hear that! Please keep us posted with your experience running Orange on the cloud.

Return to General Discussions