Orange Forum • View topic - orange canvas is not working

orange canvas is not working

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

orange canvas is not working

Postby sumana » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07

I installed orange with python 2.7 in windows xp it was specified that the package contains all the supporting files when i try to open orange canvas i am not getting any error but it is not opening
can anyone help me

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30

Can you try running Orange from the Command Prompt (Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt). Run Orange with the command
Code: Select all
\Python27\python.exe \Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw
Post the output of this command.

Postby oleczek » Fri Feb 03, 2012 17:58

Hi

Same problem here (todays bundle 3. Feb 2012).

C:\>\Python27\python.exe \Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCan
vas.pyw
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw", line 9,
in <module>
from PyQt4.QtCore import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: Can't find procedure****

**** This is transalted from my system locale. Unsure what is the exact message, but needs to be very similar.

Oleczek

Postby Ales » Sun Feb 05, 2012 20:55

This is a most probably a broken PyQt4 installation.

Try uninstalling PyQwt and PyQt4 packages from the windows Control Panel. Make sure the C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4 folder and it's contents are deleted, if not delete them manually. Do this for Python 2.6 if you have it installed too. Then reinstall Orange with all the dependencies.

Postby kostas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:02

I got the same problem. Uninstalling, re-installing all programs, including PyQwt and Orange snapshots recreates the same problem. Here's my output from pythonwin:

File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 322, in RunScript
debugger.run(codeObject, __main__.__dict__, start_stepping=0)
File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\debugger\__init__.py", line 60, in run
_GetCurrentDebugger().run(cmd, globals,locals, start_stepping)
File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\debugger\debugger.py", line 655, in run
exec cmd in globals, locals
File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\Orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw", line 7, in <module>
import orngEnviron, Orange.misc.addons
File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\Orange\OrangeCanvas\orngTabs.py", line 12, in <module>
import orngHelp
File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\Orange\OrangeCanvas\orngHelp.py", line 3, in <module>
from PyQt4.QtWebKit import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: The operating system cannot run %1.

Postby Ales » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:20

Google seems to indicate this is a problem with PyQt4 on some systems. For instance see http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/issues/detail?id=237. Can you try installing a later version of PyQt4 (at least 4.8.4) before running the Orange installer. If that works I will update the PyQt4 bundled in our installer (if it is compatible with PyQwt5).

Postby PauloXavier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 20:32

I am having the same problem . Reinstalled the version from the dowload built 21 April 2012.
After re-installing several times I can´t make it run...but had it before for several monthes, in the same Windows 7 environment...

Postby tadeja » Sat Apr 21, 2012 21:20

My Orange (April 21st download) also does not want to open and Command Prompt message was:

File "\Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw", line 7, in <module>
import orngEnviron, Orange.utils.addons
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\orng\orngEnviron.py", line 1, in <module>
import Orange.utils.environ as environ
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

:( T

Postby RSHALL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19

Exactly the same problem as PaoloXavier:

I am having the same problem . Reinstalled the version from the dowload built 21 April 2012.
After re-installing several times I can´t make it run...but had it before for several monthes,
in the same Windows 7 environment...

I can add that the 19th April snapshot update (not full version) worked.
[Windows 7-64 bit (6 GB RAM).]

Postby RSHALL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25

Additional info: attempt to run from command prompt:

>c:\Python27\python.exe c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw
File "c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\orange\OrangeCanvas\orngCanvas.pyw", line 7, in <module>
import orngEnviron, Orange.utils.addons
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\orng\orngEnviron.py", line 1, in <module>
import Orange.utils.environ as environ
File "c:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46

Sorry about that. Orange now also depends on setuptools, but it was not included in the installer package.
This is fixed now and you can reinstall the Orange full package or just install setuptools installer yourself from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools.

Postby thymemine » Wed May 09, 2012 15:38

hi everybody,

I have the same problem even after I installed 'setuptools'. It complained this

Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Nov 27 2010, 18:30:46) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> import orange

Warning (from warnings module):
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py", line 108
_import("regression.lasso")
UserWarning: Some features will be disabled due to failing modules
Importing 'regression.lasso' failed: No module named scipy.linalg

any help will be appreciated.

Postby Ales » Fri May 11, 2012 10:20

This is warning about missing scipy package (http://scipy.github.com/download.html). Orange is still usable even without it (except for the lasso of course).

Postby thymemine » Sat May 12, 2012 4:15

I appreciated your reply but this time even worst. It didn't complain anything nor canvas showed up, either. Guess it's going to take a little bit of time to fix this problem. :?

Postby Carlos » Sat May 12, 2012 20:59

This is definitely broken on Ubuntu 12.04, also.

Seems like anything with the word 'regression' in its name would be pretty useful to ML.

New to Orange and looking forward to making it hum!

Next

Return to Questions & Support