Orange Forum • View topic - Project on Neural Network or Time series analysis

Project on Neural Network or Time series analysis

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

Project on Neural Network or Time series analysis

Postby abhishekgupta92 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:46

I am a student of 3rd year pursuing a B.Tech degree in Computer Science at IIT Delhi (Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India). I read about the project ideas for Orange and would be really glad if I can work on the project "Neutral Network" or "Time series analysis".

I meet the prerequisites for both of them. I have reasonable experience working in neural networks, as a part of Machine Learning course and latter. Also, I have done course on Time series analysis, which makes me interested towards it, though I am still little bit inclined to neural networks.

Currently, I am working on a project on sentiment mining to extract out the emotions of the user from their chats in a runtime fashion under Prof. Niladri Chatarjee and k-means++ algorithm bounds for planar instances under Prof. Ragesh Jaiswal. I have previously worked on generating dynamic visual narratives (Microsoft) and on virtualization cloud solutions using KVM which is also featured on the main page of IIT Delhi website (www.iitd.ac.in) and subject of my first publication. Also, I have worked on a project to optimizing image search for the seasons vertical for Bing.

Waiting eagerly for response
Thanking you

Re: Project on Neural Network or Time series analysis

Postby Mitar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 13:33

Good. And what are you proposing for improving Orange in those fields?

Postby abhishekgupta92 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 23:27

With regards to the topic "Neural Networks" there exists Flood, an open source neural networks c++ library. I am on it now. Any suggestion from your side? But, it has not been in active development (last release was in August 2010).

I think we can improve further the same, and have a seamless integration with orange. We may do so in a fashion that we can contribute to the development of flood as well.

Any comments?

Postby Mitar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:48

I can only speak about time series idea. As we do not have anything specific for that currently, any basic/initial support for time series analysis would be good. Keep that in mind while doing a proposal (if you decide for time series). What would also be important for us that we find some way of integrating time series with the rest of the Orange, for example to have some widget which would find some features we could work on with existing widgets.

Postby jurezb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:44

abhishekgupta92 wrote:With regards to the topic "Neural Networks" there exists Flood, an open source neural networks c++ library. I am on it now. Any suggestion from your side? But, it has not been in active development (last release was in August 2010).

It would be interesting to see how Flood compares with other open-source libraries for NNs like FANN, Waffles, etc. I would love to see the difference in construction times, accuracy on datasets, and "hackability" of the source. So my question to you is: Why Flood?

Postby abhishekgupta92 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:01

To be very frank, I took on some reviews on some common forums. Though, I think that it would make a lot of sense if we carry out the detailed analysis of the available libraries in the timeframe of the GSOC project.

Return to General Discussions