Orange Forum • View topic - GSOC2012: Neural network

GSOC2012: Neural network

General discussions about Orange and with Orange connected things (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics...).

GSOC2012: Neural network

Postby cbarca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 23:00

Hello,

My name is Cristian and I'm a fourth year (final year) student at University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania.
I am conducting my bachelor thesis in Neural Networks as I am supposed to train a neural network in a distributed fashion way (using Hadoop, HDFS and Cassandra ..and mostly NN algorithms that work in batch mode). I have been experimenting for a while few neural network algorithms on large datasets (millions of data) and some of them I have already implemented in Java. Even though my experience is focused more on Java neural-frameworks (like Encog, Neuroph, Joone, GraphLab) I began my "researches" also in C++ neural-frameworks and till know my interest is heading to FANN[1], Libann[2]. I am not excluding the idea of writing our own custom-library of Neural Networks Training (which I think that it will be the most appropriate thing to do...).

For the beginning I have some questions:
1) What are you expectations regarding this NN module?
2) Do you have in mind the possibility of adding multi processing/grid computing support in Orange? (we all know that the train period can last "for ever") It is important to decide such kind of things and to design an extensible representation of a neural network (graph form, matrix form, etc).
3) What is the biggest concern of yours: precision, speed?

Thanks,
Cristian,

[1] http://leenissen.dk/fann/wp/
[2] http://www.nongnu.org/libann/doc/libann_4.html#SEC17

Re: GSOC2012: Neural network

Postby cbarca » Mon Apr 02, 2012 17:45

Where do we have to send our proposals? Is there an email contact of Mr. Jure (NN project mentor) available?

Postby Mitar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 20:19

Send it through the GSoC system. So that your proposal will be on file. We can comment your proposal there. And you can also update it there.

Postby jurezb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:29

1) What are you expectations regarding this NN module?

I'm expecting an implementation of the basic multilayer perceptron. Anything else is a bonus.

2) Do you have in mind the possibility of adding multi processing/grid computing support in Orange? (we all know that the train period can last "for ever") It is important to decide such kind of things and to design an extensible representation of a neural network (graph form, matrix form, etc).

Yes, we are thinking about it, but it's only planned for the future. We are not looking for a map-reduce implementation of any of the algorithms at the moment. Your algorithm should be optimizied for running on a single computer.

3) What is the biggest concern of yours: precision, speed?

Precision and speed are both very important as is the style and beauty of your code.

Postby cbarca » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:35

Perfect. Thank you for your answers.
I submitted my proposal last night :). I hope to be explanatory enough...

Return to General Discussions