Orange Forum • View topic - Orange Python installation in Ubuntu 12.04

Orange Python installation in Ubuntu 12.04

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Re: Orange Python installation in Ubuntu 12.04

Postby wangh3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19

Hi,I got the same error on Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 11.04
I try all the solutions above and it didnt work for me.
I need help,Please!!!
Thank you very much.

Postby wangh3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21

this is for build and how can I install it?I did change several machine on the same version,the error happened every time

Postby uwebrasil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:40

Hi,
I run into the same dificulties. Only "make" and install the developer version worked.
I'm new to machine learning and data mining and eager to learn.
Thanks a lot for this solution.
Greetings from Brasil

Postby victoriastuart » Sat Aug 03, 2013 21:23

Hello: I (a new user!) just installed Orange v.2.7.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit as follows [plus shortcut, Unity Dash (menu) addition]. Modify the user paths as per your machine/install!

Downloaded the nightly source from

http://orange.biolab.si/download/orange ... -08-03.zip

and extracted in: /home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange

as: /home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1

Launched a terminal (gnome-termimal) in that folder (Orange-2.7.1) and installed v.2.7.1 [Aug. 03, 2013] at the user prompt ($):

1. python setup.py build

This step takes some time (> ~10-15 min?!) due to numerous "cc1plus: warning:' messages ... [different '-c source/orange/<filename>' installs]:

gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.7 -I/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/core/include -Isource/include -Isource/orange/liblinear -Isource/orange/ppp -Isource/orange/px -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c source/orange/lib_components.cpp -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/source/orange/lib_components.o -fPIC -w -DLINUX -DORANGE_EXPORTS
cc1plus: warning: command line option ‘-Wstrict-prototypes’ is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++ [enabled by default]

... be patient; just wait for them to complete. You also need an active internet connection for this, for the downloads ...

2. python setup.py install --user

"This will also install [as a local User -my preference - the] orange-canvas script so you can start Orange Canvas from the command line.

3. Launching the program - various options.

(a) OK, this part could have easily been included in the Download page!

'main.py' is the Orange-Canvas (Python) script - *buried* in the following folder:

/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py

To launch Orange Canvas at terminal prompt ($):

python "/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py"

To make life easier I added as alias to my local ~/.bashrc [i.e. /home/victoria/.bashrc] file. Add the following lines [only the second is actually needed; the first is a comment (#)]:

# Orange Canvas [http://orange.biolab.si/] - Open source data visualization and analysis
alias orange='python "/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py" '

You can then launch Orange by typing 'orange' at a terminal prompt (in any terminal subsequently opened after the .bashrc file is modified/saved).

(b) To create an 'Orange' program 'shortcut:'

Create a plain text file, containing ['#!/bin/sh' as first line!] these two lines:

#!/bin/sh
python "/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py"

Save as '/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/orange.sh' [or similar], and [in Nautilus] right-click the bash script file >> Properties > [change Permissions to:] Executable by Owner

Double-clicking that file launches Orange Canvas (via Python via terminal). You can make a link (Nautilus: right-click ...) and place that link anywhere you want, e.g. your /home directory.

[I placed a copy (link) of 'orange.sh' on my Desktop: /home/victoria/Desktop/ >> /home/victoria/Desktop/orange.sh]

(c) Add a custom launcher to the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Unity Dash panel:

[If not done previously, via the Ubuntu Software Centre install the 'Main Menu' [aka 'Alacarte'] utility.

Launch the 'Main Menu' app via Dash >> [under: Menus: >> [click:] Other >> [on the right-hand side, click:] New Item >> and add the following:

Type: Application

Name: Orange Canvas

Command: /home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/orange.sh
[If your path contains spaces, you may need to enclose
the path in double= quotation marks; e.g.
"/home/<path with spaces>" ]

Comment: Orange [data visualization, analysis]

>> OK >> Close

'Orange Canvas' now shows up in/launches from the Unity Dash! :-)

--------------------------------

Addendum: "Orange - Missing widgets (Visualize ...)"

Per: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1393

re: missing Visulize widgets in Ubuntu 11.04

the solution was to install the following packages:

sudo apt-get install python-qt4-gl

and/or

sudo apt-get install python-qwt5-qt4

[I did both, restarted Orange, and my Visualization widgets jumped from 3 to 13 Visualize widets visible! Ubuntu 12.04 LTS]

===============================================================

Postby Ales » Fri Aug 09, 2013 16:31

victoriastuart wrote:3. Launching the program - various options.

(a) OK, this part could have easily been included in the Download page!

'main.py' is the Orange-Canvas (Python) script - *buried* in the following folder:

/home/victoria/linux/apps/Orange/Orange-2.7.1/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py

Note that setup.py install also installs the 'orange-canvas' script. However when using the standard '--user' installation scheme the script is installed in $HOME/.local/bin/ which (by default) is not on $PATH.

It is also possible to start Orange Canvas using
Code: Select all
python -m Orange.OrangeCanvas.main

Previous

Return to Questions & Support