Orange Forum • View topic - Add-ons in Orange Canvas

Add-ons in Orange Canvas

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Add-ons in Orange Canvas

Postby Divljina » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:23

Hello.

I use a few weeks Orange Canvas and saw Add-ons on this site, but I have problem to add them in Orange.

I install, for example, Multitarget on my computer, but I don't know how to add in Orange.

I try to add Multitarget through Add-ons management, but it failed. Orange start to add, but stop without any explanation.

I suppose that must install from Phyton, but I don't know how to do this.
Can someone explain this to me because I am a complete stranger in Phyton?

I would be grateful if someone could explain this step by step.

p.s. It is a great defect we can't download add-ons directly from Orange, like Bioinformatics and Text Mining. :evil:

Re: Add-ons in Orange Canvas

Postby Divljina » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:03

Оbviously, this forum nobody visit. What a shame. :(

Postby mlevar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:08

Yes, you need to install the addons from python, the easiest way to do this is to use easy_install from setuptools for python. To install the addons you just write the name of the addon into the console, ie.: "easy_install orange-multitarget".

You can also download the sources from PyPi or BitBucket and install them from source by using "python setup.py install".

The addons are added to Orange automatically and after installing them you should be able to use them in scripts and also see a tab with the widgets in Orange Canvas.

The reason why only Bioinformatics and Text Mining can be directly downloaded as .exe files is that they are fairly popular. If other addons become popular enough, easier access to them might be added in the future.

Postby Divljina » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17

mlevar, thank you, but I still have some problems.

I go in Command Prompt c->Python27->Scripts->easy_install Orange-Multitarget.

I run Orange Canvas, but Multitarget still miss. After that, I try download, in the same way, other add-ons and when run Orange, only Bioinformatics and Netword is in Orange Canvas.

After that, I go in c->Python27->Lib->site packages and there is all add-ons with folder names Orange_Bioinformatics-2.5a5-py2.7.egg; Orange_ModelMaps-0.2.1-py2.7.egg, etc. Why Bioinformatics and Network works, but other add-ons do not?

Postby mlevar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:14

Running easy_install orange-multitarget should add the Orange_Multitarget-0.9.2-py2.7.egg to your site-packages folder. Once the egg is there Orange and Orange Canvas should automatically include the installed addons.

Can you please recheck that the Orange-Multitarget egg has been added and that the easy_install finishes without errors? If this does not work for you then we have a bug on our hands and will have to investigate further.

In the meantime you can download the sources from pypi or bibtucket (I've linked them in my previous post), extract them to a folder and then inside that folder run "python setup.py install". With this command you manually install the addon and it should work, at least it does for me.

Postby Divljina » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25

mlevar, I again try with easy_install and on the next picture you can see what happens:

After that, he create folder Orange_Multitarget-0.9.2-py2.7.egg in site-packages and that is all.

If I do right, python setup.py install don't work.

Also, I run Orange Canvas->Options->Add-ons and, in the Add-on Management->Registere Add-on.
1. When I select folder Orange_Multitarget-0.9.2-py2.7.egg and Orange display next message: The specified folder does not seem to contain an Orange Add-on.
2. When I select folder _multitarget which is in Orange_Multitarget-0.9.2-py2.7.egg, than he run add-ons and, only at the end, I saw row No module name scipy.sparse. Maybe, there are more mistake, but it is so fast that I can see.

Return to Questions & Support