Orange Forum • View topic - setting development environment using pycharm

setting development environment using pycharm

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

setting development environment using pycharm

Postby ragrawal » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11

Hi all,

I really love orange and have been using it for almost 6 months. Now I would like to add some of my own widgets to help load data in different formats. I tried setting the orange project but the instructions available on the website are for ubuntu and eclipse. I am using PyCharm on Mac OSX. Can someone please provide me instructions on how to set Orange for development purpose using PyCharm on Max OSX.

Thanks

Re: setting development environment using pycharm

Postby Anze » Tue Mar 19, 2013 13:34

This is a step by step guide to setting up your development environment. If some of the requirements are already installed, you may skip those steps.

1. Install XCode from the AppStore, go to Preferences > Downloads and download Command Line tools. (this step installs compilers)
2. Install homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/) and run
Code: Select all
brew doctor

Follow his instructions until you fix all of the highlighted problems (there might be none).
3. run
brew install python gfortran pyqt mercurial

4. install orange dependencies
pip install numpy
pip install scipy

5. clone orange repository
[hg clone https://bitbucket.org/biolab/orange]
6. compile orange c sources
cd orange
python setup.py develop

7. open the directory containing cloned repository with pycharm
8. Go to Preferences/Python Interpreter and add/local and navigate to the /usr/local/bin/python, also set it as the default project interpreter.
9. Run orange/Orange/OrangeCanvas/orngCanvas.pyw or orange/Orange/OrangeCanvas/main.py to run old/new canvas.

Hope this works for you.

Re: setting development environment using pycharm

Postby ragrawal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 13:59

Great. Thanks a lot. The above instructions worked like a charm. Not a single glitch.

Return to Questions & Support