Orange Forum • View topic - Can't launch Orange GUI in OS X (Mountain Lion)

Can't launch Orange GUI in OS X (Mountain Lion)

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Can't launch Orange GUI in OS X (Mountain Lion)

Postby jonbho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 14:36

Hello, I'm trying to get started using Orange for some analytics project of mine. I've downloaded it to my Mac, mounted the volume, and dragged the Orange.app bundle to my Applications folder. I double click it, OS X asks me the security question about running an app downloaded from the Internet to which I respond 'Ok', and then... nothing. Nothing starts.

I've searched the forum and Googled for this, without much success. Only question was from a few years ago, they suggested checking the console output. This is what may be related:

3:30:17 PM Dock: no information back from LS about running process
3:30:17 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x25b85b6].si.ailab.Orange[37109]) Exited with code: 1

This is another message from earlier, I'm not sure whether it's related:

3:08:51 PM kernel: HFS: Orange Very Low Disk: freeblks: 320, dangerLimit: 1045

I've checked that I have plenty of disk.

Also I've checked my installed Python version, I'm using 2.7.2, although I assume Orange bundle will use its own Python.

Finally, I've also tried starting Orange.app directly in the mounted volume, it results in the same thing.

Thanks & regards,

-- Jon

Re: Can't launch Orange GUI in OS X (Mountain Lion)

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 15, 2013 14:49

Can you please start Orange Canvas directly by running
Code: Select all
/Applications/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/Orange
from the Terminal app.

Does it print any errors.

Postby jonbho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 15:00

This is what it outputs:

AccessInit: hash collision: 3 for both 1 and 1

BTW, I had tested a version I downloaded a few weeks ago, with the same result. I downloaded the new one today and then I posted here.

Thanks!

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 15, 2013 16:04

This appears to be a problem with PIL (Python Imaging Library) which is included in the app bundle (https://www.google.si/search?q=AccessInit%3A+hash+collision%3A+3+for+both+1+and+1).

I remember seeing this error a while ago after experimenting with some add-ons, but I can't duplicate it now.

Can you run
 /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/python -v  /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Resources/Orange/OrangeCanvas/orngCanvas.pyw

and post the last 20 lines of output. This should give the place where offending module is being imported.

Postby jonbho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 16:21

Ah ok, thanks. Indeed here is the last part of the output, which seems to point in the direction you describe:

# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/bezier.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/bezier.py
import matplotlib.bezier # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/bezier.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/lines.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/lines.py
import matplotlib.lines # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/lines.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/markers.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/markers.py
import matplotlib.markers # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/markers.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_pylab_helpers.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_pylab_helpers.py
import matplotlib._pylab_helpers # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_pylab_helpers.pyc
# /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/atexit.pyc matches /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/atexit.py
import atexit # precompiled from /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/atexit.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/tight_bbox.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/tight_bbox.py
import matplotlib.tight_bbox # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/tight_bbox.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/textpath.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/textpath.py
import matplotlib.textpath # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/textpath.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
import matplotlib.font_manager # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/afm.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/afm.py
import matplotlib.afm # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/afm.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_mathtext_data.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_mathtext_data.py
import matplotlib._mathtext_data # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/_mathtext_data.pyc
dlopen("/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so", 2);
import matplotlib.ft2font # dynamically loaded from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/mathtext.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/mathtext.py
import matplotlib.mathtext # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/mathtext.pyc
dlopen("/Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/unicodedata.so", 2);
import unicodedata # dynamically loaded from /Applications/Orange.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/unicodedata.so
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/dviread.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/dviread.py
import matplotlib.dviread # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/dviread.pyc
import PIL # directory /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/__init__.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py
import PIL # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/__init__.pyc
# /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.pyc matches /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.py
import PIL.Image # precompiled from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.pyc
AccessInit: hash collision: 3 for both 1 and 1

I don't know how to address this though. I'm all ears though. Thanks so much for your help so far!

Postby Ales » Mon Apr 15, 2013 18:38

I did not expect matplotlib to be imported.
Maybe it would be better if you pasted the entire output. The forum here probably will not handle such long text so use pastebin or a similar service.

Postby jonbho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:01

Ok, thanks for your help. I've used matplotlib, numpy and pil in the earlier part of this very same project (I'm trying to use Orange to help with more advanced stuff).

Here is the full output, I'll be very grateful if you can help out in some way:

http://pastebin.ca/2360006

Thanks!

Postby Ales » Tue Apr 16, 2013 19:18

Ok. So the problem was that both matplotlib and scipy are importing PIL but in a different way causing the PIL._imaging C extension being initialized twice and this crashed (although the latest versions of both libraries use the from 'PIL import ...' convention).

I implemented a workaround for this in a89187176fc8.

The fix should be included in the current application bundle build. Can you try it?

Postby jonbho » Tue Apr 16, 2013 20:28

Awesome Ales thanks so much!! It now loads fine!! I will start using it and get back to posting when I can't figure something out. Thanks!!!

Return to Questions & Support