Orange Forum • View topic - orange canvas is not working

orange canvas is not working

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby PenguinJunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 13:14

I'm at my wits' end. I gave up trying to get Orange working on my main machine and used it on my secondary machine for a while. Now I REALLY need it on my main machine.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Orange (Full package: Snapshot of Orange with Python 2.7 and required libraries) and Python 2.7 twice. I have made sure that everything is removed when I uninstall. I still get the above error "No module named pkg_resources".

I've tried to get pkg_resources by installing setuptools. It was not there. I used easy_install to install ipython (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1756 ... de-of-pyth) and something has changed! Now I get the error:

C:\Python27>python.exe -m Orange.OrangeCanvas.main
C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py:68: UserWarning: Some features
will be disabled due to failing modules
Importing 'utils' failed: No module named numpy
_import("utils")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\runpy.py", line 151, in _run_module_as_main
mod_name, loader, code, fname = _get_module_details(mod_name)
File "C:\Python27\lib\runpy.py", line 101, in _get_module_details
loader = get_loader(mod_name)
File "C:\Python27\lib\pkgutil.py", line 464, in get_loader
return find_loader(fullname)
File "C:\Python27\lib\pkgutil.py", line 474, in find_loader
for importer in iter_importers(fullname):
File "C:\Python27\lib\pkgutil.py", line 430, in iter_importers
__import__(pkg)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py", line 71, in <module>
_import("data.io")
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\__init__.py", line 31, in _import
__import__(name, globals(), locals(), [], -1)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\data\io.py", line 213, in <module>
loadARFF = Orange.utils.deprecated_keywords(
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'utils'

Orange still won't run.

'PyQt4' and 'PyQwt5' are not listed in the Add/Remove Programs.

I believe my XP machine is a hideous mess of horror. I would just like a working version of Orange. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby PenguinJunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 16:45

I've got it working, sort of.

Here's what I did.

I uninstalled Python 2.7 and Orange. I deleted everything including the PYTHONPATH variable and any reference to python in the PATH variable.

I then downloaded and installed orange-win-w-python-snapshot-hg-2013-06-18-py2.7.exe. I believed that this would give me everything I needed to run Orange but I found that I then needed to install numpy, SciPy and PyQt4 separately.

Now I can get an orange canvas. However, when I open my ows files, I get the error:

UnknownWidgetDefinition('OWPCA',)
UnknownWidgetDefinition('OWScatterPlot',)
...

and, my, doesn't the canvas look different??! More like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orang ... y_2013.png than the clean-looking version I've grown to love. Is it because I'm using XP? :(

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Wed Jun 19, 2013 14:17

PenguinJunk wrote:believed that this would give me everything I needed to run Orange but I found that I then needed to install numpy, SciPy and PyQt4 separately.

These are be included in the installer. Try uninstalling every thing related to Python 2.7 from the windows Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs (uninstall PyQwt5 before PyQt4). Then delete the C:\Python27 folder if it still exists and run the orange installer again.
PenguinJunk wrote:However, when I open my ows files, I get the error:

UnknownWidgetDefinition('OWPCA',)
UnknownWidgetDefinition('OWScatterPlot',)
...

This is probably due to a PyQwt4/PyQt4/sip version mismatch. The instructions above should hopefully fix this.
PenguinJunk wrote:nd, my, doesn't the canvas look different??! More like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orang ... y_2013.png than the clean-looking version I've grown to love. Is it because I'm using XP? :(
No, this is platform independent.

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:30

PenguinJunk wrote:Is this a problem?
I am not sure. Probably not as long as you manually remove the C:\Python27 folder it it still exists (it probably will as the files for PyQt4 will remain there).

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby PenguinJunk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25

Sorry, I deleted my message above because I did find PyQt GPL v4.10.2... I deleted that. I removed Python 2.7 and Orange and deleted c:\Python27 and downloaded the full snapshot and installed again.

I'm back to the "No module named pkg_resources" error. I don't want to go down the setuptools route again, I didn't really understand what I was doing :( .

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46

Ales wrote:I'm back to the "No module named pkg_resources" error. I don't want to go down the setuptools route again, I didn't really understand what I was doing :( .
Did the installer for setuptools run during the orange installation?

If you run the installer from the setuptools PyPi page is the pkg_resources module then available?

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby PenguinJunk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:49

Ales wrote:Did the installer for setuptools run during the orange installation?

If you run the installer from the setuptools PyPi page is the pkg_resources module then available?


Thank you so much for your continued support Ales, sorry I am unable to resolve the problem.

I don't know if the installer for setuptools ran during installation however I tried the installer you linked to and it ran and appears to have solved the pkg_resources problem. However, now I get the "No module named Numpy" error. This is exactly the process I went through on Tuesday when I went through and then installed Numpy, SciPy and then PyQt4 and then found I had a really weird version of Orange that could not do scatter plots or PCA.

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby monarchi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 18:32

Hello all -

Although my problem is different from PenguinJunk's, I'm as desperate. My work has come to a complete standstill. (See my previous posts.) I would be most grateful if anyone has any ideas. (And Ales, sorry for the typo re your name in my last post.)

Cheers,
David

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33

PenguinJunk wrote:However, now I get the "No module named Numpy" error. This is exactly the process I went through on Tuesday when I went through and then installed Numpy, SciPy and then PyQt4 and then found I had a really weird version of Orange that could not do scatter plots or PCA.

Did the installers for numpy, scipy, PyQt4 run during the Orange installation? Do the corresponding directories exist in the python's site-packages directory?

Also please try running the these installers (they are the same as the one packaged in the installer):
numpy
scipy
PyQt4
PyQwt5

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby Ales » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51

monarchi wrote:Hello all -

Although my problem is different from PenguinJunk's, I'm as desperate. My work has come to a complete standstill. (See my previous posts.) I would be most grateful if anyone has any ideas. (And Ales, sorry for the typo re your name in my last post.)

Cheers,
David

I am sorry but I have no idea what could be the problem.

Maybe this would be overkill, but you might setup a virtual machine for running Orange.

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby monarchi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 16:34

Hi Ales -

Thank you for all of the time you've put into trying to help me with this. I'll confess that I don't know how to set up a virtual machine nor if I even can. I have Win 7 Pro x64. Do you have a recommendation on setting up a VM? My knowledge of OSs is almost exclusively Windows. I would be at a loss trying to set up Linux.

Thanks again for your help. When I hear back from you, I'll try the VM route.

Best,
David

Re: orange canvas is not working

Postby monarchi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 23:30

Hello again, Ales -

I installed Windows VM so I could run Windows XP on my machine, and then installed Orange on the VM. Whatever the problem was, that seemed to cure it! At least I can open Orange Canvas now. :-)

Thanks again.

David

Previous

Return to Questions & Support



cron