Orange Forum • View topic - SOM adding Options

SOM adding Options

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

SOM adding Options

Postby lelorrain » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27

Hi, I'm new on Orange but it really looks interesting. Thank you for your great job.

I frequently use SOM data processing. Particularly the CIS SOM toolbox on matlab. But I choose to converge to Orange. The friendly user interface and the visual data organisation is really nice. Concerning the SOM widget, I would like to know if it is possible to add (existing in the initial program) some options on the interface:

1) During the data organisation, we don't know if data are weighted or not. The option exist in the original soft; Adding a normalisation of the information would be really usefull (particularly when we compare small an big value data)
2) Another interesting point concern the SOM visualisation. Could it be possible to have an option to view every MAPS in the same window ? It is really useful as well to get a quick global data view.
3) Concerning the colorbar. Grey scale is nice for printing, but multicoloring is so usfull for clusturing : http://www.cis.hut.fi/somtoolbox/downlo ... orcode.png could it be possible to have a multicolor scale for data background informations ?
4) My last request concern another option I used in the Matlab toolbox and is quite linked to the previous one. Sometimes it is important to fix a number of cluster. Do you think it is possible to add it in the interface as well ?

I hope not to be too optimist for a first contact, but it would really be amazing.

Many thanks for your good job !

Re: SOM adding Options

Postby lelorrain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32

:( no answer ?

Postby Ales » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22

lelorrain wrote::( no answer ?

Sorry, I missed the thread.
lelorrain wrote:1) During the data organisation, we don't know if data are weighted or not. The option exist in the original soft; Adding a normalisation of the information would be really usefull (particularly when we compare small an big value data)

Normalization is not done, but I agree it would be usefull (although you can normalize the data prior to sending to to the SOM using 'Continuize' widget.
lelorrain wrote:2) Another interesting point concern the SOM visualisation. Could it be possible to have an option to view every MAPS in the same window ?

I had a semi functional version of SOM Visualizer that showed multiple color maps in a single view a while back. But it would require quite a lot more work and time (which at the moment I don't have, still I have reopened my old ticket for this)
lelorrain wrote:3) Concerning the colorbar. Grey scale is nice for printing, but multicoloring is so usfull for clusturin

Another fine idea (this should be quite easy I think, ticket here).
lelorrain wrote:4) My last request concern another option I used in the Matlab toolbox and is quite linked to the previous one. Sometimes it is important to fix a number of cluster.

New new ticket here

Postby lelorrain » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31

Dear Ales,

Thank you very much for your help. I just would like to know if you have a time idea about the evolution of those options.

On one hand, grey scale is very useful for printing, but colour scale is so much more communicant.

I'm not printing a lot on the forum, but I have frequent look on this topic :)

Once again thank you,

Lelorrain

Postby Ales » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:55

lelorrain wrote:I just would like to know if you have a time idea about the evolution of those options.
Sorry, I have not worked much on this and I cannot specify any time frame when it might be complete.

Return to Questions & Support