Orange Forum • View topic - New add-on Textable

New add-on Textable

A place to ask questions about methods in Orange and how they are used and other general support.

New add-on Textable

Postby axanthos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:59

Hi,

I'm happy to announce that I've just released a new Orange add-on called Textable and devoted to quantitative text analysis (there's some overlap with Biolab's Text mining add-on but not so much).

I've tried to follow the indications given at http://orange.biolab.si/trac/wiki/AddOns and while the add-on appears both on the Orange website and in the add-on list inside Orange Canvas, install through the add-on manager failed on my computer with the following message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\OrangeCanvas\orngDlgs.py", line 903, in accept
Orange.utils.addons.install(name, self.pcb)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\utils\addons.py", line 226, in install
raise Exception("Unable to unpack add-on: %s" % e)
Exception: Unable to unpack add-on: file could not be opened successfully

I'd be happy to take the necessary steps to make Textable fully compliant if someone could point me to whatever needs to be done.

Thanks in advance and congratulations for the amazing data mining environment you built!
Aris Xanthos

PS I'm using Orange v2.7.1-dev-Unknown and Python 2.7 under Windows 7.

Re: New add-on Textable

Postby Ales » Mon Aug 12, 2013 14:28

axanthos wrote:I'm happy to announce that I've just released a new Orange add-on called Textable and devoted to quantitative text analysis

Great.

axanthos wrote:I've tried to follow the indications given at http://orange.biolab.si/trac/wiki/AddOns and while the add-on appears both on the Orange website and in the add-on list inside Orange Canvas, install through the add-on manager failed on my computer with the following message:

File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\OrangeCanvas\orngDlgs.py", line 903, in accept
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\utils\addons.py", line 226, in install
raise Exception("Unable to unpack add-on: %s" % e)
Exception: Unable to unpack add-on: file could not be opened successfully

I'd be happy to take the necessary steps to make Textable fully compliant if someone could point me to whatever needs to be done.

Looking at the code of Orange\utils\addons.py it seems that it only supports installation from .tar source archives. Of course this should be fixed to also allow zip archives.

However for now if you can just replace the .zip source archive on PyPi with a tar.gz (by running: python setup.py sdist --format=gztar), then I think it should install from the add-ons dialog.

Postby axanthos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 15:12

Thanks a lot for this quick reply.

I've uploaded a tar.gz and I'm getting a different error message at install:

File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\utils\addons.py", line 234, in install
run_setup(setup_py, ['install'] + switches)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Orange\utils\addons.py", line 197, in run_setup
startupinfo.dwFlags |= subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW'

In fact, I'm also getting this message when trying to install other add-ons :?

Does someone else manage to install Orange-Textable using the add-on manager?

Postby Ales » Mon Aug 12, 2013 17:27

Which (exact) version of python are you using?

It seems that subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW flag was removed (because it was undocumented in 2.6) for initial releases of Python 2.7, but was then re added (and documented). Although the documentation makes no mention of when this happened.

Postby axanthos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 19:43

You were right: I was using Python 2.7.1150, and upgrading to 2.7.2150 solved the problem: install works fine now and the Textable tab appears correctly once Orange Canvas is restarted.

Thanks again for your help and responsiveness!

Return to Questions & Support