Orange Forum • View topic - Porting Orange Widgets to wxPython along with PyQt

Porting Orange Widgets to wxPython along with PyQt

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

Porting Orange Widgets to wxPython along with PyQt

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44

Hi,

Suggestion: Porting Orange Widgets to wxPython along with PyQt:
Implementation suggestion:
- define new interface - GUI interface placed between Orange Widgets and GUI classes
- implement interface with wxPython classes and PyQt classes

wxPython has rich set of widgets and I supose that mapping can be done.

Question: Have you thought of wxPython at all, and if so why is your choise PyQt?

Regards,
Robert

Postby Blaz » Fri Oct 07, 2005 15:36

At the time we started with PyQt, this looked rather much more advanced than wxPython. I am not following the developments of wxPython, but so far, Qt did fine and we could do everything we needed even with non-commercial (i.e., rather obscurly old version). With release of Qt Open Source Edition (that includes windows), we are now only waiting for PyQt4 to use Qt4, and with this, we have everything we need.

Using two different GUI platforms would be, for us, a killer. Especially since we do not have any problems with the current platform.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 0:50

Hi,

The thing with using wxPython is that pretty-well everything comes included - look at wxOGL (included in wxPython) for shape and connecting lines support.

I tried installing Orange on my uni Linux box and there seems to be a reducto ad absurdum of dependencies upon dependencies of packages that have to be installed - and kept up-to-date (which is just as important as installation). I got stuck at some point with a failed package install and threw my hands up in horror!

Maintaining two gui packages would be a nightmare, so it seems to me anyway, that it would be better to switch over to wxPython!

Regards,

Karl

Postby jgilbert » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:50

Asking the Orange developers to switch UI toolkits is a tall order indeed. May I humbly suggest that you simply switch Linux distributions? Debian is a very good choice and I provide simple installation instructions in Test Forum 1.

Well, that and Debian rules. The two go together.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2006 14:40

jgilbert wrote:Asking the Orange developers to switch UI toolkits is a tall order indeed. May I humbly suggest that you simply switch Linux distributions? Debian is a very good choice and I provide simple installation instructions in Test Forum 1.

Well, that and Debian rules. The two go together.

I don't see the above difficulty.
Example: Suse10.0.
If you use gnome, make sure you install KDE next to it. You can keep on using gnome though. This will have installed for you the Qt3 and PyQt without any further effort.
If you wish a beautiful IDE, look at eric3: http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

For orange, simply download http://www.ailab.si/orange/download/ora ... -01-16.tgz
unpack and run 'python setup.py install'
That did it for me. I only changed in the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orange/OrangeCanvas directory filename orngCanvas.pyw into orngCanvas.py to get canvas going.

malv

wxpython

Postby thegoldbug » Sun Apr 09, 2006 21:28

I've looked at the docs and some working code for both GUIs and wxpython seems to be much easier to use that QT stuff. However I understand the major hurdle in rewriting all the code to support a separate gui.

Return to Wish List