Orange Forum • View topic - Discretization

Discretization

Discussions about new ideas and features you would like to see in Orange.
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)
Forum rules
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for your wishes and their discussion.)

Discretization

Postby rmarko » Tue May 09, 2006 9:51

Hi,

It would be nice if all discretizers could also be used as IntervalDiscretizer,
using points parameter. In this way one can easy use discretization as a parameter in scripts.

Cheers, Marko

Postby Janez » Tue May 16, 2006 14:02

Marko, I didn't understand your message - can you be more explicit about what would you like to do?

Postby rmarko » Wed May 17, 2006 16:56

Janez,

all IntervalDiscretizers use points attribute, while EquiDistDiscretizer uses firstCut and step attributes.

My suggestion is to use points attribute for EquiDistDiscretizer as well, so that discretization interface can be uniqe.

BTW, also usefull would be if EquiNDiscretization, would have a parameter
specifying how many intervals we want (not just 4).

Postby Janez » Fri May 19, 2006 0:03

Good idea. I cannot eliminate firstCut, step and numberOfIntervals for compatibility reasons, but EquiDistDiscretizer now fakes the attribute 'points'. It's just a list constructed on the fly when you read the attribute - changing it won't affect the discretizer.

If you would also like to modify it, I can add a flag to EquiDistDiscretization with which you'll instruct it to build an IntervalDiscretizer instead of EquiDistDiscretization. You need it?

As for the number of intervals in EquiNDiscretization: it has an argument numberOfIntervals, just like EquiDistDiscretization. I just forgot this class in the documentation. I've added it now.

All the changes should be in the snapshot after a few hours.

PS I haven't forgotten your other comments and bug reports, I just haven't had the time to look into them yet.

Thanks,
JAnez

Postby rmarko » Fri May 19, 2006 7:54

Thanks Janez for such a quick response. Did not expect it, to be honest.
Cheers, Marko

Return to Wish List