Orange Forum • View topic - Updated version for OS X?

Updated version for OS X?

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

Updated version for OS X?

Postby garycmartin » Sat May 13, 2006 23:51

Hi guys,

I was hoping to find some news on the update status for Orange on OS X. It's seems we're now way behind the other platforms, the build instructions and files seem to be incomplete for the Mac, otherwise I'd do this myself (tried a number of times already without luck).

Would also be nice if Orange had clear version numbers within the application, there's no obvious way of finding out the build currently (even poking through the python source files).

I'd love to make use of this project and help with some feedback, it has some really good goals.

Thanks for any help/information!

Regards,
G

Postby tomaz » Mon May 22, 2006 19:34

The Mac version of Orange broke around the time we decided to split the main orange library into three libraries (orange, orangene, orangeom) and to use a new, stricter version of the gcc compiler. All these changes required modifications to the sources that would compile with the old Mac Development Tools but would not correctly run (there were some system-level problems with loading of libraries that we could not solve).

For all these reasons we have temporarily stopped providing Orange updates for Mac OS X. We are currently in the (slow) process of looking into things and plan to probably provide support for Mac OS X Tiger only, if we solve all problems. Any help from expert Mac developers is more than welcomed.

Postby Mitar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:38

I have just made a Mac OS X bundle with the freshest Orange. You can find it under snapshots on Download page.

Please report any problems.

Postby garycmartin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:56

Mitar wrote:I have just made a Mac OS X bundle with the freshest Orange. You can find it under snapshots on Download page.

Fantastic, many thanks Mitar. Downloading it now. Will report back once I've given it some cpu cycles.

Regards,
G

Postby garycmartin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:56

Mitar wrote:I have just made a Mac OS X bundle with the freshest Orange. You can find it under snapshots on Download page.

Hi Mitar, was going to give this a good test tomorrow, but decide to just give the download a quick try tonight (nice dmg set-up by the way).

Unfortunately, this build of Orange will not run for me:

- Dock icon bounces for about 1min (!!!) then just stops
- CPU goes off the scale all the time until I force quit
- Top just shows a Python process sitting there burning out cpu
- Left running for 10min, fans full blast, with no change.

Running on a Powerbook G4 (PPC) 1.5Ghz with 2Gb ram, OS X 10.4.9. Python 2.3.5 is my default (standard OS X Tiger install), though I do also have a separate install of Python 2.4.1 for testing.

I can't find any errors being reported anywhere having had a dig through the console log – please let me know if there is a custom error log file I should be looking at hiding somewhere.

Just to confirm, the download tested was from http://www.ailab.si/orange/download/ora ... -04-23.dmg

Thanks for the effort.

Regards,
G

Postby Mitar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:29

Thanks for the report although it is not the one I hoped for.

It was built on Intel MacBook so maybe this is the problem. But I made it Universal. I will check on my friend's iBook.

I assume you checked for any output in Console?

Postby Mitar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 0:15

Checked on three non-Intel Macs and it is the same everywhere - it just uses 100 % of the CPU and does nothing. Have no idea why and so I am open for any suggestions.

Postby garycmartin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:53

Mitar wrote:Checked on three non-Intel Macs and it is the same everywhere - it just uses 100 % of the CPU and does nothing. Have no idea why and so I am open for any suggestions.

Not that this is going to be much help, but I tried using both the System Profiler and lipo to check what architecture they thought Orange was. Neither of them can name the architecture, every other App I've checked states either Universal or PPC.

lipo -info /Users/garycmartin/Desktop/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/Orange
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /Users/garycmartin/Desktop/Orange.app/Contents/MacOS/Orange

I had a quick go at checking out the cvs snapshot and trying to make, but the build failed after some time. I take it there are some undocumented 3rd party dependencies that source is needed for to get a build to work in addition to the CVS repository? Is there some build documentation/hints anywhere? Was going well until it hit:

numeric_interface.hpp:33:33: error: numpy/arrayobject.h: No such file or directory

I do develop under OSX. Both Python and C/Objective-C, but I've settled in with the Apple developer tools (Xcode) so can't give any suggestions for building by hand from the command line. Only thing I can mention is that there are 2 settings you have to change in Xcode when building a Universal app (I have to remind myself to check I've done both). In the main project info panel you have to set the "Cross-Develop Using Target SDK" pop-up menu to "Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal)" and then in the build tab the setting string for "Architectures" must be "ppc i386".

There's an Apple tec note on building Universal files from the command line aimed specifically at Open Source developers trying to port. I'm sure you've seen it already but just though I would include a link incase it's of help:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

Regards,
Gary

Postby Mitar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40

Just for the record. This was a problem in the way of how I compiled universal version of Qt3. It was not so universal as I believed and some optimized assembler code was compiled as i386 code even for the PPC part of the binary. It was later corrected in a newer version of Qt3.

Return to Bugs