Orange Forum • View topic - Error compiling on linux

Error compiling on linux

Report bugs (or imagined bugs).
(Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.)
Forum rules
Archived/read-only, please use our ticketing system for reporting bugs and their discussion.

Error compiling on linux

Postby mepython » Mon Dec 20, 2004 23:26

Can anybody help me!!!

I am having following error under linux:
gcc version 3.4.3
python 2.4

BUILDING Corn.dsp Makefile Makefile.mac Orange.dsp Orange.dsw Statc.dsp corn debugging_orange.txt dedos include include.dsp makedep.py makefile.deps obj orange orange_core.dsp statc
[root@taamportable source]# make
g++ -fPIC -w -DLINUX -O3 -DNO_NUMERIC -DNO_GSL -c orange/assoc.cpp -o obj/assoc.o
orange/assoc.cpp:36: error: too few template-parameter-lists
orange/assoc.cpp:36: error: expected `,' or `;' before '=' token
make: *** [obj/assoc.o] Error 1

Postby boulon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:41

yes i've the pb too.

i've seen the same pb on the build of other software. They speak about a pb in the gcc version >=3.4. That's my case !! What is the versio of your gcc ?
Is there anybody to help on this pb ?

PS: makedep.py not makedeps.py (this file does'nt exist !!).

thanks

Postby Janez » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27

Try today's snapshot. I've been working on this for several days and managed to fix the code to compile under gcc 3.4.3 (not Fedora, it was some older Redhat), but I haven't had time to run the regression tests yet, so it might be badly broken. I hope I'll try it today.

I've linked it against 2.3, but you shouldn't have any problems with 2.4, I guess. We'll migrate to 2.4 as soon as other libraries that we use run on 2.4 (PyQt, PyQwt, Numeric...)

I have to say this: I really appreciate the work of gcc developers, but I'd appreciate it even more if they stopped releasing new versions of the compiler that are more conformant to the ISO standard and less conformant with the existing software. Everytime they break the compatibility with the older version, hundreds of developers around the world are forced to start fixing their code. I wouldn't complain if Orange's code was obviously non-standard or ambiguous; it's not, and the needed syntactical changes look artificial, non-intuitive and, as someone commented, so ugly that only a mother could like. I guess that the standard prescribes this syntax as a help for the compiler; but if older gcc's did without it, I don't understand why it's suddenly needed now. And why can't there be a flag for disabling this new "feature". But then, what do I know.

Say about Microsoft what you want, but I don't have any problems with their compiler. Achieving compatibility with the standard looks like a holy grail of the gcc community, but to me (and many others like me) it's just a pain in the ass.

Unfortunately, whenever a new major Linux distribution ships with a new compiler, I have to submit to this crazy run for standard and spent a few days - or even weeks, once - to fix something that worked perfectly OK.

Janez

Snapshot version compiles with gcc 3.4.3

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 0:14

Jane,
I have compile 1/10/05 snapshot version of orange under gcc 3.4.3. It compiles without any error. It runs with python 2.4 also.

Thanks for your great work.

I can understand your frustation with gcc, but from what I heard, there will be a lot less compability changes to gcc in the future version.

Snapshot version compiles with gcc 3.4.3

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 0:15

Jane,
I have compile 1/10/05 snapshot version of orange under gcc 3.4.3. It compiles without any error. It runs with python 2.4 also.

Thanks for your great work.

I can understand your frustation with gcc, but from what I heard, there will be a lot less compability changes to gcc in the future version.

Return to Bugs